The School of Social Work is recognized as having one of the most progressive and socially responsive social work programs in Canada. The School offers two undergraduate (BSW) streams and two innovative graduate programs, including and MSW and PhD. Students receive a professional social work education that is characterized by a commitment to human rights and social justice. Dedicated instructors, who draw from a strong contemporary curriculum and their own practical experience, afford students the opportunity to acquire their own social work philosophies and skills. York students are equipped for professional practice in a wide variety of social work arenas, from work with individuals and families to practice with community, policy, research, and international settings.
The School of Social Work fosters intellectual curiosity and a spirit of inquiry through its emphasis on critical perspectives in social work. In light of its belief in social work as social justice work, the School consistently teaches applied practice skills throughout the curriculum.
8th Annual Social Work Research Symposium - May 8, 2015
Interdisciplinary Conversations on Social Transformation and Critical Practices
Organized by the School of Social Work at York University, the Critical Social Work and Social Justice Research Symposium aims to foster critical education, research and practice in relation to critical social work and social transformation in order to promote contemporary, historical, social, political and economical context, both locally and globally.
Student wins grant for youth mentorship program
Social Work student Soroush Fakhri is the latest recipient of a grant of up to $25,000 from the Ontario Trillium Foundation to support his Afghan Mentorship Program, which provides programming support for Afghan youth in the Durham Region. Soroush came from Afghanistan when he was six years old and understands first-hand the struggles immigrant youth face. "A lot of them are smart and very family-oriented and they just need a little help. I feel fortunate for the people who helped me in the past and that's what motivates me." Full story
Degree Checklist and Student Support
Social Work majors looking to track their degree progress can now obtain the online checklist/study plan provided.
If you are looking for one-on-one support, there is an Academic Advisor available to meet with students on Wednesdays and Thursdays. To book an appointment please call 416-736-5226 or email email@example.com
News & Events
- Career Opportunity: Full Time Tenure Stream - Assistant Professor - Social Work
Deadline: April 10, 2015
- Our very own Dr. Susan McGrath has been appointed a Member of the Order of Canada for her contributions to research and policy on refugee rights and for fostering collaboration among scholars in her field. Congratulations Dr. McGrath! Read full story
- Job Posting: Canada Research Chair in Migration & Mobility in the Digital Age -- deadline Dec. 11, 2014
- Contract Academic Employment Opportunities Website
- Social Work Beyond the Classroom
- CUPE Postings
Applying to York Social Work
- Current York Students Applying to Change their Major/Program to Social Work
- BSW Undergraduate Supplementary Application Form for CURRENT YORK STUDENTS ONLY!