PRACTICUM EVENT CALENDAR FOR DECEMBER!
Through research, curriculum and critical pedagogy the School of Social Work seeks to prepare students to be critical practitioners and agents of change. As part of this preparation (and as a requirement for graduation) each student completes a field placement. These placements allow students to blend theory learned in the classroom with hands-on practical experience, preparing them to function as professional social workers upon graduation. As such, the field placement becomes the culminating experience of each student's education at the School.
The Field Education Office endeavors to integrate the philosophy of the School of Social Work into the placement process. We encourage a collaborative process between the students and the Field Education Office staff. Early in their academic program we begin to work with students, assisting them at both the graduate and undergraduate level in securing a placement that meets both their learning goals and the requirements of the program. We also assist students in exploring opportunities for placement in both traditional and non-traditional settings.
We invite you to browse this web site to learn about field placement offered by the Social of Social Work. Registered students, Faculty Advisors, and Field Instructors must sign into the online Database to access secure content (ex. applications). Registered students should note, further information is provided in the Orientation Sessions.
Check out a list of clarifying definitions to help those new to SSW better understand the services we offer.
If you are a student with a disability, we want to ensure that we arrange any necessary accommodations for your disability in the practicum/field placement setting. Please note that practicum/field placement accommodations may differ from classroom accommodations due to the particular demands of the learning environment. We urge you to discuss your accommodation needs early in the term with the practicum/field placement coordinator and a disability counsellor from Counselling & Disability Services.
Our past experience strongly suggests that there is an increased likelihood of success in practicum settings when students with disabilities disclose their need for accommodation at the earliest possible stage. Furthermore, we believe that the optimal process for determining appropriate accommodation involves collaboration among the student, CDS disability counsellor and the practicum coordinator.
Please contact the:
Counselling and Development Centre
Bennett Centre for Student Services
ATTENTION BSW Students:
Important Information Regarding OSAP:
For students who are planning to do their practicum this September 2014 or after, please note that you will need to take 9 credits per term during the Fall/Winter term to be eligible for OSAP, as a result of new changes at the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and the York OSAP Office.
For students who are only taking the practicum courses, please check with the Financial Office at York University to talk about your eligibility.
- Reume/Cover Letter Handout
- Cover Letter Sample 1
- Cover Letter Sample 2
- Questions Students Can Ask at Interview
- Social Work Practicum Interview Practice Questions
- Code of Ethics (CASW)
- Practice Day - Child Welfare Duty to Report Handout
- Practice Day - Child Welfare Abuse Fact Sheet Handout
More information is available at Career Centre Website: http://www.yorku.ca/careers/
- BSW Practicum Manual (2014-2015)
- MSW Advanced Standing Practicum Manual (2014-2015)
- 2 Year MSW Practicum Manual (2014-2015)
Guidelines and Policies
- BSW Direct Entry and Post Degree Beginning Placement Orientation (Sep 2014)
- BSW Direct Entry Applying for Placement Orientation (Oct 2014)
- BSW Post Degree Applying for Placement Orientation (Oct 2014)
- BSW Direct Entry Planning for Placement Orientation (Sep 2014)
- BSW Post Degree Planning for Placement Orientation (Sep 2014)
- MSW 2 Year - Yr 1 Field Orientation (May 14 2014)
- MSW Part Time Field Orientation (May 20 2014)
- MSW Par Time Beginning Placement Orientation (Sep 2014)
- MSW Full Time Field Orientation (May 12 2014)
- MSW 2 Year - Year 2 Beginning Placement Orientation (Sep 2014)
- End of Year Field Instructor Acknowledgement Event (Jun 2014)
- Securing & Starting a Placement - FAQ's (Apr 2013)
- Field Instructor Seminar: Introducation to Field Education (Sep 2014)
- Field Instructor Seminar: Evaluations and Endings (Dec 2014)
- Online Placement Database Application Tutorial
- Log of Hours Tutorial (for Student)
- Log of Hours Tutorial (for Field Instructor)
- Online Evaluation Process
- Online Evalutation FAQs (for Student)
- Online Evaluation Tutorial (for Student)
- Online Evaluation Tutorial (for Field Instructor)
- Online Evaluation FAQs (for Field Instructor)
- Student Questionnaire Form