Voices of Indigenous Educators is a short 3 minute video that introduces four dynamic Indigenous scholars/educators in the Faculty of Education at York University. Diversity, strength, commitment and community are words that Pamela, Kiera, Marianne and Natasha bring to life. Find out who they are and why Indigenous education is at the heart of their professional and personal practices.
Dr. Pamela Rose Toulouse (Anishinaabe), Kiera Brant-Birioukov (Haudenosaunee), Rebecca Beaulne-Stuebing (Métis), Marianne Groat (Haudenosaunee & English/Welsh) and Natasha Bascevan (Anishinaabe & Métis) encourage colleagues and their families to take the time to reflect on September 30 – the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. The following resources on truth and reconciliation are suggested wise practices as starting points to unlearn (truth) and relearn (reconciliation) together.
Miigwetch, Nia:weh, Maarsi and thank you.
- Official Site for the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation - https://nctr.ca/
- Spirit Bear’s Guide to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada Calls to Action - https://fncaringsociety.com/sites/default/files/child_friendly_calls_to_action_web.pdf
- Gord Downie/Chanie Wenjack National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - https://downiewenjack.ca/national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation/
- Official Site for Orange Shirt Day - https://www.orangeshirtday.org/
- CBC Truth and Reconciliation offers 94’ calls to action - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/truth-and-reconciliation-94-calls-to-action-1.3362258
- Official Site for the Federal Indian Day Schools Class Action - https://indiandayschools.com/en/
- UBC’s Research on Indian Day Schools - https://irshdc.ubc.ca/learn/indian-residential-schools/indian-day-schools/
- TRC Mini Documentary – Senator Murray Sinclair on Reconciliation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjx2zDvyzsU
- ‘This is not just neglect, this is a cover up’ – Dr. Niigaan Sinclair - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPtbz-A2Ymk
- Truth and Reconciliation – Kevin Lamoureux – TEDx University of Winnipeg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FG8SXalxTg
- Truth and Reconciliation Progress? Five Years On - https://www.tvo.org/video/truth-and-reconciliation-five-years-on
- When We Were Alone Book Final Edit Read Aloud by Fairlawn Public School - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeaS6vlPUSk
- How to change systemic racism in Canada - https://www.tvo.org/video/how-to-change-systemic-racism-in-canada
- Dr. Susan Dion – Introducing and disrupting the “perfect stranger” - https://vimeo.com/59543958
- The Inconvenient Indian (2015) by Thomas King - https://www.cbc.ca/books/the-inconvenient-indian-1.3972080
- 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act: Helping Canadians Make Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples a Reality (2018) by Bob Joseph - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBrq7Ez-rQ
- Truth and Reconciliation in Canadian Schools (2018) by Dr. Pamela Rose Toulouse - https://www.portageandmainpress.com/Books/T/Truth-and-Reconciliation-in-Canadian-Schools
- Speaking Our Truth: A Journey of Reconciliation (2017) by Monique Gray Smith - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJFnNgRx0vU
- The Reason You Walk (2017) by Wab Kinew - https://www.tvo.org/video/like-father-like-son
- Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story (2021) by David A. Robertson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHMxQadLnw
- Indigenous Ally Toolkit (2018) by Dakota Swiftwolfe and Leilani Shaw for the Montreal Urban Aboriginal Community Strategy Network - https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/montreal-indigenous-ally-toolkit-1.4988074