Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Study Abroad Double Major Minor
Are you fascinated by how sexuality is interpreted, exhibited and examined by different cultures and communities?
Our unique interdisciplinary Sexuality Studies Program will provide you with an exciting and comprehensive understanding of sex and sexuality from intersectional, transnational, global decolonial and historical perspectives. Gain important insights on sexuality from numerous disciplines and explore sexuality in terms of desires, acts, identities, communities, and movements and their effects on individuals and society.
Learn from over 20 affiliated professors – academics, researchers, community organizers, artists and activists – who are internationally known for their work. While some of our students choose to pursue graduate or professional studies after graduation, others have gone on to careers in health care, political activism, social work, education and policy analysis.
A Sexuality Studies degree will provide you with a well-rounded education and options to be successful in a range of different career paths. This degree can also be an important steppingstone to further specialized studies.
In our program, you will
- Engage in political and social issues at the heart of debates around human sexuality in Canada and other countries, including different cultures, religions and histories.
- Understand the concept of sexuality from an interdisciplinary and transnational perspective.
- Become familiar with core issues in contemporary sexuality studies and important debates in gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and transsexual communities.
- Learn from guest speakers – such as drag performers, poets and politicians – as they share their experiences.
- Attend field trips to theatres, galleries and local organizations as they connect you with communities that reflect the curriculum you are studying.
- Engage with the Centre for Women and Trans People at York, which offers resources, seminars and activities.
- Join SexGen, a program engaging in advocacy, education and campaigns regarding gender and sexual diversity issues at York University.
The Sexuality Studies program allowed me to explore various aspects of society in a safe environment. The professors were fantastic, and they encouraged thought provoking discussions in their classes. I think that the critical approach I took to understanding how gender and sexuality interacts with society on a regular basis prepared me for the thought process necessary to succeed as a lawyer. I doubt I would be where I am today without the learning I experienced while completing my undergraduate degree.
— Shirelle Goodman
Alumna, Sexuality Studies '12
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.