For information about early move-out options due to COVID-19, please visit our main COVID-19 information page. For official updates from York University, please visit the University's COVID-19 update page.
As per the 2020-2021 Undergraduate Residence Occupancy Agreement, residents are required to move out of residence 24 hours after the final class/exam or by Thursday, April 29, 2021 at noon (12:00pm), whichever is earlier. Please read the following information carefully to ensure a smooth move-out.
Step 1: Prepare for Move-out Inspection
It is important to leave your room and common areas in clean, damage-free, and furnished condition. Housing staff will conduct move-out inspections using the information from the Room Inventory and Condition Report that students completed upon move-in. Charges may be assessed for any cleaning, missing items or damages that were not reported at move-in.
Any personal items left in residence rooms will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of. Resident may also be charged removal costs if applicable.
Residents planning to return next year and need storage for their personal items must plan with off-campus storage vendors.
Any applicable cleaning, damage, unreturned/lost keys, and late move-out charges will be assessed on your student account. We encourage you to check for any outstanding balances following the move-out period and to make payments to avoid financial blocks that will prevent future enrolment, return to residence for the following term and/or graduation.
Prepare your room/suite for the move-out inspection by following the items below.
- Dispose of all garbage and recycling material, including food stored in fridges, freezers and cupboards.
- Empty garbage and recycling bins in room.
- Vacuum the room/suite.
- Return all residence furnishing to its original setting.
- Check all drawers and closets and remove all personal belongings.
- Remove any posters, artwork and tape/hooks from all surfaces in room/suite including doors.
- Clean bathrooms (for residents living in suites): tub, showers, toilet, and sinks.
- Clean the kitchen (for residents living in suites): sink, countertops, stove/cook top and cupboards.
- Close and lock all windows, as well as the room/suite door.
- Turn off radiator and lights.
- Empty mailbox before returning the keys.
Step 2: Forward Your Mail
Once you have moved out, Housing & Conference Services will no longer be taking mail and packages on your behalf. Please empty your mailbox before leaving. Mail for former residents will be held at the York Mailing Service for approximately 2 weeks after the final delivery date before returning them to the sender. Canada Post does not recognize change of address from universities and residence mail cannot be re-directed. Please contact York Mailing Service (416-736-5572) for further information.
Vacating Residents must also:
- notify correspondents about their change of address. This includes agencies (e.g. for income tax returns, GST cheques, etc.) and York University Departments.
- change their home/mailing address on student records by contacting the Registrar’s Office.
- if moving to York Apartments (Assiniboine, Atkinson, Passy), promptly notify senders of their new address. *York Apartments mail is serviced externally by Canada Post and mail from Undergraduate Residence will not be redirected by the York Mailing Service.
Step 3: Check Out and Return Your Keys
On move-out day, students can have a maximum of two (2) people to assist them in moving out their belongings. Please ensure that each companion answers the COVID-19 Screening Checklist at least 24 hours prior to entering campus. Anyone who answers “yes” to any of the questions must not attend any York University campus.
Residents must return all keys and key card (issued upon move-in) to their respective Housing Services Office drop box. Please do not deposit loose keys/key cards, place all your keys and key card together in a sealed envelope labeled with your name and room number and deposit into the drop box in your respective Housing Services Office. *Do not leave your keys in your room or rely on your friend/Residence Dons to return them for you. Delays caused by doing so may result to charges as well.
While accessing elevators to move your belongings or going to the Housing Offices to return keys, please observe proper physical distancing guidelines and wear your mask at all times.
(Founders, Vanier, Tatham, Winters)
108 McLaughlin College
(Bethune, Calumet, Pond, Stong)
101 Bethune College
An improper move-out fee of $100 will be charged for keys or keycards that are not returned on the day of move-out.
|Carpet Stains/Holes||$200.00 and up|
|Paintings/Holes (per wall)||$25.00 and up|
|Mattress||$125.00 and up|
|Sofa||$150.00 and up|
|Chair (each)||$130.00 and up|
|Table (each)||$180.00 and up|
|Disposal of Garbage & Personal Belongings||$50.00 and up|
|Cleaning Charges||$ 50. 00 and up|
|Garbage Disposal Charges||$ 50. 00 and up|
Move-Out Extension Application
If you need to stay more than 24 hours beyond your final exam or class date but are leaving no later than April 29, 2021 at noon, please submit an extension request to your Residence Life Coordinator no later than April 6, 2021. Visit the Residence Life Move-out information page to complete an Online Extension Request Form.
- If you wish to remain in residence during the summer months, applications for on-campus summer residence are currently being accepted. Please visit the 2021 Summer Residence page for more information.
- Residents with a history of infractions against residence policies may be denied an extension.
- Residents that are granted extension permission and violate Community Standards will revoke their rights to stay and will be asked to vacate immediately.
During House Meetings closer to the move-out period, Residence Dons will review important move-out information and perform periodic checks to ensure residents follow their obligations as per their Residence Occupancy Agreement. Residents who fail to move out on time will be asked to leave residence and may be assessed a $100 Improper Move-out Fee. All residence keys will expire on Thursday, April 29, 2021 at noon unless the student requested and was approved for an extension. Residents that have extenuating reasons and need to stay after April 29, 2021 must email email@example.com by April 6, 2021.
Exam Period Policies
Extended quiet hours for exams will begin on April 13, 2021 at 8:00 am. Please be respectful of your fellow residents and continue doing your part in creating an environment that is conducive for study. Contact the Don on Duty if you experience any noise disturbances.
Moving into Summer Residence and York Apartments
Residents moving to Summer Residence or York Apartments will be contacted by Housing & Conference Services about their specific moving date and process.
Returning to Undergraduate Residence Next Fall
Residents planning to return for the following Fall/Winter Term should submit their housing applications as early as possible to increase their chances of getting a space. Application for the next term launches early February each year. Visit the Apply for Residence page for more information.