For information about early move-out options due to COVID-19, please visit our main COVID-19 information page. For official updates from York University, please visit the University's COVID-19 update page.
Failure to follow proper move-out procedures may result in additional fees and/or ineligibility for refunds.
As per the 2019-2020 Undergraduate Residence Occupancy Agreement, students are required to move out of residence 24 hours after the final class/exam or on Sunday, April 26, 2020 at noon (12:00pm), whichever is earlier. Please read the following information carefully to ensure a smooth move-out.
Step 1: Avoid Damage and Cleaning Charges
Residents are responsible for leaving their room and common areas in clean, damage-free and furnished condition. Housing staff will conduct move-out inspections using the same Room Inventory and Condition Report that you were asked to complete upon your move-in. Students will be charged for any cleaning, missing items or damages that were not reported at move-in.
Please note that Housing is not responsible for any personal items left behind. These items will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of. Resident may also be charged removal costs if applicable.
Students planning to return to residence next year and need storage for their personal items must make arrangements with off-campus storage vendors. Unfortunately, Housing Services does not provide storage space.
Any applicable cleaning and damage charges, non-returned keys, and late move-out fees will be posted as of June 1, 2020. It is the responsibility of the student to review their accounts for any outstanding balances following the move-out period and to make payments to avoid financial blocks that will prevent future enrolment and graduation.
To ensure that you are not assessed move-out charges, below are some quick tips to follow when moving out.
- Dispose of all garbage and recycling material, including food stored in fridges, freezers and cupboards.
- Empty garbage and recycling bins in your room.
- Vacuum the room/suite.
- Return all residence furnishing to its original setting.
- Check all drawers and closets and remove all personal belongings.
- Remove any posters, artwork and tape/hooks from all surfaces in your room/suite including your doors.
- Suite bathrooms (as applicable): clean tub, showers, toilet, and sinks.
- Close and lock all windows, as well as your room/suite door.
- Turn off radiator and lights.
- On move-out day, make sure that your mailbox is emptied before returning your keys.
Step 2: Forward Your Mail
The last day for mail delivery to the residence buildings will be Friday, April 24, 2020. After which, Housing Services will no longer be taking mails and packages on your behalf. As you vacate, please empty your mailbox before leaving everything will be returned to sender after. Mail will be held at the York Mailing Service for approximately 2 weeks after the final delivery date before returning your mail to the sender. Canada Post does not recognize change of address from universities and residence mail cannot be re-directed. Please contact York Mailing Service for clarification 416-736-5572.
- It is your responsibility to notify your correspondents about change of address to ensure you receive your mail after moving out. This includes agencies (e.g. for income tax returns, GST cheques, etc.) and York University Departments.
- Please change your address with the Registrar’s Office.
- If you are moving to Winters Residence for the summer, arrange for your mail to be addressed to:
Your Name, Summer Residence 2020
York University, 4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
- If you are moving to York Apartments (Assiniboine, Atkinson, Passy), promptly notify senders of your new address, since York Apartments mail is serviced externally by Canada Post and will not be redirected by the York Postal Service.
Step 3: Check Out and Return Your Keys
On move-out day, please hand in all of your residence keys and key-card to your respective Housing Services Office dropbox.
Please do not deposit loose keys/key-cards, place all of your keys and key-card together in a sealed envelope labeled with your name and room number and deposit into the drop box in your respective Housing Services Office. *Please refrain from leaving your keys in your room or giving them to a friend to return for you.
(Founders, Vanier, Tatham, Winters)
108 McLaughlin College
(Bethune, Calumet, Pond, Stong)
101 Bethune College
Housing & Conference Services Office
340 Assiniboine Road
An improper move-out fee of $100 will be charged to your student account for keys or key-cards that are not returned on the day of move-out.
|Carpet Stains/Holes||$200.00 and up|
|Paintings/Holes (per wall)||$25.00 and up|
|Mattress||$125.00 and up|
|Sofa||$150.00 and up|
|Chair (each)||$130.00 and up|
|Table (each)||$180.00 and up|
|Disposal of Garbage & Personal Belongings||$50.00 and up|
|Cleaning Charges||$ 50. 00 and up|
|Garbage Disposal Charges||$ 50. 00 and up|
Move-Out Extension Application
As per the Residence Occupancy Agreement, all residents must vacate 24 hours after final class or exam or 12:00 noon on April 26, 2020 (whichever is earlier). If you have extenuating circumstances and need to stay more than 24 hours beyond your final exam or class date but are leaving no later than April 26, 2020 at noon, please submit an extension request to your Residence Life Coordinator no later than noon on April 2, 2020. Visit the Residence Life Move-out information page to complete an Online Extension Request Form.
Please note that:
- Late move-out requests submitted after the deadline may not be accepted.
- Requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis; approval is not guaranteed.
- Residents approved to stay may be relocated depending on the summer operation needs. If you have to be relocated, Housing Services will inform you prior to April 26, 2020.
- If you wish to remain in residence during the summer months, applications for on-campus summer residence are currently accepted at 2020 Summer Residence through the Housing website.
- Residents with history of infractions against residence policies may be denied an extension. Students that are granted extension permission and violate Community Standards will revoke their rights to stay and will be asked to vacate immediately.
- Residents that need to remain in residence for the summer months must apply to Summer Residence (Bethune Residence) for a minimum 30-night stay.
During House Meetings closer to the move-out period, Residence Dons review key move-out information and perform periodic checks to ensure residents follow their contractual obligations and adhere to their move-out date. Residents who fail to move out on time will be asked to leave residence and Housing Services may assess a $100 Improper Move-out Fee to the student’s account. All resident keys will expire on Sunday, April 26, 2020 at noon unless the student requested and approved for an extension. Residents that have other extenuating reasons and require staying after April 26, 2020 must email email@example.com.
Residents approved for a late move-out or transitioning to Summer Residence will need to visit Housing Complex Office no later than Thursday, April 18, noon to have their key-cards extended.
EXAM PERIOD POLICIES
Extended quiet hours for exams will begin on April 6, 2020 at 8:00 am. Please be respectful of your fellow residents to create an environment that is conducive to study. Contact the Don on Duty if you experience any noise disturbances.
Starting on April 6, 2020, residents are limited to one guest at a time. Guests who cause any issues will be asked to leave immediately and the host’s guest privileges may be revoked.
Moving into Summer Residence and York Apartments
Residents who have been offered Summer Residence will be contacted by Housing Services about their specific moving date and procedures. Residents who are transferring to the York Apartments will be required to complete their move on April 24, 2020 between 9:00am – 4:30pm.