Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Academic Resources » Deferred Exam Request

Deferred Exam Request

If you are unable to write a final exam at the scheduled time – due to illness, a personal or family emergency, or religious commitment, for example – you can request for an alternate date to be arranged. Depending on the circumstances, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation.

To request a deferral of your final Human Resource Management (HRM) exam, follow the steps below. If you do not see your course code listed, please contact the department where your course is offered.

HRM Deferred Exam process:

  1. Download and complete the Final Exam / Assignment Deferred Standing Agreement (DSA) form.
  2. Gather any relevant supporting documentation. Health issues will require an Attending Physician's Statement. COVID-19 Process Change: Until further notice, students are not required to submit an Attending Physician’s Statement in support of requests for deferred standing or petitions.
  3. Log in to the Deferred Exam Request system using your Passport York and complete the online form.
  4. Upon completion, the form will issue a ticket number. Record the number at the top of the DSA Form.
  5. Submit the completed forms to the School of HRM by emailing to request approval for deferred standing. Please ensure to keep a copy for yourself.
  6. Log in to the online system to check the status of your request as well as the location, date and time of the exam.
  7. Should you be unable to write your final examination or complete the outstanding course work by the deadline specified on the approved DSA form, then you can submit a petition for an extension of deferred standing to your home Faculty provided you do so immediately (this is subject to your home Faculty's submission deadline). If your home faculty is Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, you are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to submitting an academic petition or appeal.
  8. Please contact your home faculty for academic advising appointments.

For students in all other faculties, you can find information on submitting academic petitions on the My Academic Record website.