York University’s Bold Dream is Becoming an Exciting Reality
Opening Fall 2023
Construction is underway for York University’s long-awaited Markham Centre Campus (MCC) which will welcome our first students in the Fall of 2023. The Markham Centre Campus will initially be home to programs from four Faculties and the School of Continuing Studies, with York University Libraries providing a modern facility to support programs and research.
Once open, the new campus will:
- Create positive change in York Region and the City of Markham community, accommodating up to 4,200 students in Phase 1, with the flexibility to respond to future growth demands.
- Contribute significantly to the teaching and research mission of York University, building on the already strong relationships that we have in the City of Markham and York Region.
As a catalyst for learning, research and innovation, and an anchor institution within a strong and vibrant region, our new state-of-the-art MCC campus will:
- Offer students innovative, relevant job-ready academic programming and research opportunities, focused on digital media arts, engineering and technology, entrepreneurship, management, new media and communications.
- Consolidate York University’s already strong academic presence in the City of Markham through YSpace, the IBM Innovation Space – Markham Convergence Centre and our partnership with IBM Partnership.
- Help to fulfill York Region’s future labour market and civic leadership needs, by providing transferable 21st century skills that are at the core of future economic competitiveness and community development in Markham, York Region, and across Ontario.
Located in one of the fastest growing and most diverse regions of Ontario and Canada, th
e Campus will specialize in flexible learning formats that serve diverse student populations, mature and mid-career learners, newcomers to Canada and workers impacted by technological change.
Urban, connected and integrated with local and global communities, students will interact with employers and community partners while acquiring the knowledge and skills needed to contribute to a rapidly changing economy and society. Academic programs and research will focus on technology and entrepreneurship, applied across different professional fields.
Markham Residents attended a virtual open house on Nov. 16 to discover more about our new campus, construction plans and future opportunities
About Markham Centre Campus
Large and small common areas are spread throughout the buildings, providing spaces for students to study, meet and collaborate
Ten floors of teaching and learning spaces are clustered around a dynamic, multi-story atrium
In addition to a large public gallery on the first floor, the multi-faith space, Indigenous learning circle and other enhanced accessibility features create a friendly, welcoming environment for the York community