College Office Assistant
Unit / Department: Student Engagement, LA&PS Colleges
Job Type: Leadership, Planning
Eligibility: You must be eligible for work-study or international work-study to work within the Faculty of LA&PS. Please review the eligibility requirements for domestic students and international students to verify your status.
Number of Positions Available: 2
Type of Position: Paid
Rate of Pay: $16.00 per hour
Employment Term: May 2023-April 2024
Hours of Work: SU: 20-35 hours per week, F/W: 10-15 hours per week
The LA&PS Colleges Office Assistant is responsible for providing administrative, clerical and facilities support with LA&PS College operations.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Greet and assist students, staff, faculty, and the public with general enquiries and provide them with basic/directional information.
- Respond to phone, in-person or email inquires.
- Support with events, special projects, and activities.
- Support with creating a variety of documents such as letters, reports, and presentations.
- Provide general administrative and reception support to the LA&PS Colleges team.
- Perform clerical duties such as printing and photocopying, sorting, and filing documentation, sort and distribute mail, and responding to general enquires.
- Update contact lists and bulletin boards.
- Track and monitor room keys and report any issues.
- Support with opening/closing College spaces, track and monitor space inventory and report maintenance issues or deficiencies to Manager and/or Operations Coordinator.
- Support with office relocation, delivery of equipment and materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
Student Learning Components:
Work/Study Student employees are provided opportunities to contribute to support roles while developing valuable, relevant skills and work experience for the workplace. These roles offer a learning and development opportunity for Work/Study Student employees to receive experiential on-the-job training, guidance and mentorship. Under the guidance of permanent staff members, Work/Study Student employees will provide support to their relevant department/faculty in clerical, administrative and technical capacities. As part of your Work-Study/LEAP experience, you will participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
- creating meaningful goals and objectives;
- recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
- identifying their competencies and skills; and
- articulating their skills and experiences with confidence.
Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback.
- Current Undergraduate York University student.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Eagerness to learn and take initiative.
- Knowledge of York’s services and resources.
- Previous administrative or clerical support an asset.
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds/cultures.
- Students who are a good fit for this position are dynamic, approachable, knowledgeable and open to learning about themselves and others. They will show high levels of emotional intelligence combined with excellent adaptability, organizational skills, and team-building skills
Must be enrolled as a York student.
- Ability to demonstrate organizational skills to carry out a variety of tasks.
- Ability to meet deadlines and organize time effectively.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to communicate with others to explain and share information.
- Ability to communicate clearly in written form.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook or PowerPoint.
Required Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume