Peer Mentor Team Lead
Program: Peer Mentor Program
Unit / Department: Student Engagement, LA&PS Colleges
Job Type: Leadership, Peer Leader Roles
Eligibility: You must be eligible for work-study or international work-study to work within the Faculty of LA&PS. Please review the eligibility requirements for domestic students and international students to verify your status.
Number of Positions Available: 1 SU Position, 2 F/W Positons
Type of Position: Paid
Rate of Pay: $17.00 per hour
Employment Term: June 2023-April 2024
Hours of Work: SU: Up to 35 hours per week, F/W: 10-15 hours per week
The Peer Mentor Program serves incoming LA&PS students across affiliated programs as they transition into university and through to their upper years at York. The Peer Mentor Program supports the mandate of York University by fostering the skills necessary for academic, personal, and professional success and promoting active student engagement and help seeking behaviour through community building initiatives.
Through the development and delivery of engagement programming, the Peer Mentor Team Lead helps students develop strategies for university level learning, enhanced self-awareness, improved confidence, and a strong sense of connection to York University.
The Peer Mentor Team Lead supports the administration of the Peer Mentor program, provides leadership to the larger Peer Mentor Team, including Peer Mentor Assistants and Peer Mentor Volunteers, contributes to the planning and execution of transition and engagement programming, and works alongside the LA&PS team to ensure the successful operation of the colleges and large-scale events.
- Assist in the development and delivery of transition and engagement programming for the Peer Mentor Program.
- Support the development of Peer Mentor Assistants and Peer Mentor Volunteers.
- Participate in weekly check-in meetings with Peer Mentor Assistants to support project planning, personal and professional development, and team cohesion.
- Participate in regular meetings with Student Engagement Coordinators to ensure program delivery and assessment.
- Triage student’s needs with appropriate campus referrals.
- Monitor the LAPS Peer email account and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Various administrative duties as assigned, including scheduling, record-keeping and collating ongoing feedback for the Peer Mentor Program.
- Assist with outreach strategies to a diverse range of students and professional departments at York.
- Assist in the delivery of programming for the Summer, Fall, and Winter Orientation events.
- Participate in Orientation programming to create awareness of the Peer Mentor Program and its services and support the LA&PS Colleges team.
- Support communication and teamwork integrating tools (ex. MS Teams, Outlook, Discord)
- Research on training and development, as assigned.
- Attend all training sessions throughout the year.
- Stay in regular contact with your direct supervisor or other Student Engagement Coordinators.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Student Learning Components:
As part of your experience, you will be required to participate in Becoming YU, a program designed to support students in:
- creating meaningful goals and objectives;
- recognizing the value of their personal, academic and professional experiences;
- identifying their competencies and skills; and
- articulating their skills and experiences with confidence.
Becoming YU includes regular meetings with your student employment supervisor/coach for reflecting on your progress and getting valuable feedback.
- Upper year level undergraduate York student
- Good academic standing
- Previous relevant experience with peer mentoring or other peer support at a post-secondary, preferably university level
- Eagerness to learn and take initiative
- Knowledge of York’s services and resources for students
- Students who are a good fit for this position are dynamic, approachable, knowledgeable and open to learning about themselves and others. They will show high levels of emotional intelligence combined with excellent adaptability, organizational skills, and team-building skills
- Experience-based knowledge of effective strategies for academic, personal and professional success at university
- Extensive knowledge of York University and campus resources
- Ability to liaise with campus partners including but not limited to: Learning Skills Services, Career Centre, and LA&PS Academic Advising
- Experience with project management tools such as MS Teams, Slack, etc.
- Sensitivity to and awareness of the academic support needs of students
- Ability to work supportively with students in a confidential and professional manner
- Demonstrated commitment to peer support and the value of post-secondary education
- Demonstrate leadership ability
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Some graphic design/ artistic ability, marketing and/or communications background is an asset
- Great attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team
Required Application Documents: Cover Letter, Resume