Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » English BA » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some common questions we get from students. Please feel free to reach out if your question(s) is not addressed on this page.

If a course is offered in multiple sections (such as 1001 3.0A/ 1001 3.0B.), may I take more than one section?


May I enrol in a 4000-level course if I am pursuing a Regular BA?


Does English 4099 6.0 (Honours Thesis) count as a course for my Honours BA?

Yes, provided the thesis project is supervised by a faculty member, and the appropriate authorization form is completed. Contact the Undergraduate Program Office for more information.

I am a returning Arts English Major, but I have yet to complete my 1000-level requirement. Do I now have to take EN 1001 and 1002, or are there other courses I could take?

If you have not yet satisfied your 1000-level requirement, you may take AP/EN 1001 3.0 + AP/EN 1002 3.0 or AP/EN 1006 3.0 + AP/EN 1002 3.0

What are Courses Outside the major/minor?

These are courses that are not offered by the English Department and that are not General Education courses in the Faculty of LA&PS.

What are Free Choice courses?

Free Choice courses may be in any subject, including extra English courses.

Do English courses taken through Glendon count toward my LA&PS English major?

It depends on the course. Students must seek approval from the English Undergraduate Program Director ( to count GL/EN courses towards their English major/minor. Students may inquire about more information on which courses are accepted, at which level of study, and in which area/period/category.