Study an influential language spoken by 275 million people around the world. Our unique department provides a broad focus not found in other French programs: you’ll explore language, literature and linguistics, and gain an understanding of the francophone experience and culture across the globe.
What makes us unique
- Small classes allow you to interact with peers and experienced instructors with a wide range of specializations and backgrounds.
- All classes are taught in French
- Hands-on learning opportunities to practise your language skills in non-academic settings such as important cultural events, career workshops and seminars.
Our degree options include:
- Undergraduate program (BA)
- Certificate of French Proficiency (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
- Certificate of French for Business (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
French certificates can be added to other York degrees, giving you a competitive edge within the job market, especially in the federal Canadian government.
Please read our Land Acknowledgment, which recognizes the unique and enduring relationship of Indigenous people and their traditional territory.
Welcome to the Department of French Studies in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies! Thanks to its interdisciplinary approach to the study of French language DFS offers courses in French language, linguistics and literature. We are proud of the fact that our courses are taught in French by committed professors with vast academic expertise. At DFS we value experiential education. Whether you choose to study for a few weeks in Quebec, spend one semester at a partner university in France, intern with a local or global francophone organization or get involved in the Francophone student association, your journey with us will be meaningful and rewarding, and will lead to many exciting careers en français!
Thank you for choosing to study with us!
— Marilyn Lambert-Drache
Chair & Associate Professor, French Studies