Join one of the top ranked history departments in the world.
With courses that cover the globe from antiquity to the fall of communism, our undergraduate and graduate programs allow you to choose a specialization from a vast selection of areas. Innovative courses include such topics as the history of money, gladiators in Roman society, and the history of animals, technology and science. Our award-winning faculty’s research areas include Indigenous and Metis History, love and death in Renaissance Italy, the world of voyageurs, the histories of Modern Africa, the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
What makes us unique:
- Our department ranks among the best in the world.
- You’ll study with award-winning professors, including Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada and Royal Historical Society.
- Our courses cover history from the ancient period to the recent past
- Our courses focus on the thematic areas of indigeneity, culture, gender, social, political, environmental and sexuality.
- Our focus on hands-on learning, such as the training offered in placements at museums, archives and galleries for our Public History Certificate, will translate into crucial in-demand skills.
The study of history imparts critical thinking, reading, research, writing, and communication skills, all of which makes us better citizens in a democratic society and a global community.
Please read our Land Acknowledgment, which recognizes the unique and enduring relationship of Indigenous people and their traditional territory.
Studying history allows students to explore the question, "how did things come to be the way they are today?" Courses in History apply that question to a wide range of topics, from social inequality and movements for social change, to political developments and military conflict, to concerns about the environment over time. All teach the significance of context in exploring the causes and consequences of past events and developments. In this way, a degree in History will shape how you think for the rest of your life.
— Jennifer Bonnell