The School of Human Resource Management (SHRM) at York University is Canada's leader in HRM education.
SHRM houses the single largest group of scholars of any Canadian university dedicated to the study of work, and all that it entails. Our cutting-edge research, undertaken within the range of methodological, ontological, and epistemological perspectives, addresses real-world problems and significant intellectual debates.
Expertise of our faculty members ranges all areas of HRM specialization, including but not limited to: career management, compensation, critical management studies, labour and employment law, gender and diversity, global HRM, industrial relations, recruitment and selection, labour economics and statistics, strategic HRM, training and development, and work-nonwork issues.
Over the past five years, our faculty members held SSHRC grants totaling over one million Canadian dollars and have published dozens of books and leading research papers in many of the world's top peer-reviewed academic journals.
- Upcoming Events
- What's New
- Recent Publications
- Conference Presentations
- May 21, 2013 - 8:30-12:00pm
HRPA Seminar::: Employee Engagement: Myths, Realities, and Next Steps for Your Organization - by Professor Paul Fairlie more information
- Upcoming Doctoral Student Conference Presentations
- Professor David Doorey serving as Visiting Scholar at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law for the 2012-13 academic year.
- Professor David Doorey comments in the Toronto Star article Unpaid internships: the most precarious work of all
- Professor Julia Richardson is quoted in the National Post article Does Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer's memo telling staff to come into the office signal the end of telecommuting?
- Professor Paul Fairlie discusses his new study on workers of all ages in an article in YorkU magazine.
- Professor David Doorey wins Fodden Award as the Best Canadian Law Blog.
- Professor Len Karakowsky's research on talent management cited in YorkU Magazine.
- Professor Ken McBey awarded the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal by the Governor-General on behalf of the Government of Canada, for "outstanding volunteer service to the community and to Canada."
- Professor Julia Richardson wins the 2012 International Journal of Management Reviews Reviewer of the Year Award, invited to editorial board.
- Professor David Doorey cited in Mcleans Magazine and CBC News on employer social media policies and practices.
- Professor Paul Fairlie webcast on HR.com on the 10 Deadly Sins of Employee Surveys.
- York launches bridging program forinternationally educated HR professionals
- Professor Souha Ezzedeen quoted in Globe and Mail and National Post on Marissa Mayer's appointment as Yahoo! CEO.
- Applications Welcome: Two Tenure Stream Faculty Positions
- Professor Paul Fairlie finds that all generations want meaningful work
- SHRM Ph.D Students Excel, Nominated For Best Student Papers
- Professor David Doorey cited in Ontario Human Rights Commission's Statement on Employer Requests for Facebook Passwords from Job Applicants
- Professor Len Karakowksy on whether high-potential leadership programs work
- Professor David Doorey's Workplace Law Blog recognized as top blog by a Canadian Law Professor--for third time.
- Professor Julia Richardson's New Book published: New Ways of Organizing Work: Developments, Perspectives, and Experiences
- Ananthram, S., Nankervis, A. and Chan, C. (2013). Strategic Human Asset Management: Evidence from North America. Personnel Review, 42(3), 281-299. more.
- Ananthram, S. and Chan, C.C.A. (2013). Challenges and Strategies for Global Human Resource Executives: A Canadian and U.S. Perspective. European Management Journal, 31(3), 223-233. more.
- Doherty, N., Richardson, J. & Thorn, K. (2013). Self-initiated expatriates and self-initiated expatriation: Clarification of the research stream. Career Development International, 18(1), 97-112.
- Doorey, D. (2013). Graduated Freedom of Association and Worker Voice in Labour Law. Queens Law Journal, 38(2), 515-548. more.
- Manroop, L., Boekhorst, J. A., & Harrison, J. A. (2013). The Influence of Cross-Cultural Differences on Job Interview Selection Decisions. International Journal of Human Resource Management (ahead of print). more.
- Richardson, J. & McKenna, S. (2013). Space, spatiality and flexible work practices. British Journal of Management (ahead of print). more.
- Samnani, A. -K., Boekhorst, J. A., & Harrison, J. A. (2013). The Acculturation
Process: Antecedents, Strategies, and Outcomes. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 86(2), 166-183.
- Doorey, D. (2012). A Model of Responsive Workplace Law. Osgoode Hall Law
Journal, 50, 47-91. more.
- Duff, A. J., Tahbaz, A. and Chan, C. (2012). The Interactive Effect of Cultural Intelligence and Openness on Task Performance. Research and Practice in Human Resource Management (Special Issue), 20(1), 1-12. more.
- Manroop, L., & Singh, P. (2012). The role of the AFL-CIO in regime change: The case of Guyana. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 50(2): 308-328 more.
- Samnani, A. -K., Boekhorst, J. A., & Harrison, J. A. (2012). Acculturation Strategy And Individual Outcomes: Cultural Diversity Implications for Human Resource Management. Human Resource Management Review, 22(4), 323-335. more.
- Samnani, A.-K., & Singh, P. (2013). When leaders victimize: The role of charismatic leaders in facilitating group pressures. The Leadership Quarterly, 24, 189-202. more.
- Samnani, A.-K., & Singh, P. (2013). Exploring the fit perspective: An ethnographic approach. Human Resource Management, 52, 123-144. more.
- Samnani, A.-K., & Singh, P. (2012). 20 years of workplace bullying research: A review of the antecedents and consequences of bullying in the workplace. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 17, 581-589. more.
Kalliath, T., Kalliath, P., Thachil, G., and Chan, C. (2013). The Path to Wellbeing: The Role of Work-Family Conflict, Family-Work Conflict and Psychological Strain. XXXIV International Conference on Psychology, London, UK.
Kotlyar, I., & Karakowsky, L. (2013). Assessing the Potential of High-Potential Programs. Academy of Business Research, New Orleans, LA
Boekhorst, J & Karakowsky, L. (2012). The Pragmatic Side of Third Party Intervention: Responses to Peer Mistreatment as an Impression Management Tactic. Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
Doorey, D. (2012). Labouring Through the Supply Chains. Annual Law and Society Association, Honolulu, HI.
Duff, A. J. and Chan, C. (2012). Taking a Sickie for the Team: Team and Manager Influences of Employee Absence. ASAC Conference, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
Ezzedeen, S.R., Budworth, M.H., & Riggi, C. (2012). Devils and Contenders: Portrayals of professional and managerial women in North American motion pictures. Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
Kotlyar, I. & Karakowsky, L. (2012). Rising Stars and Falling Commitment: Self-Perceived Status and Responses to Performance Feedback. Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
Manroop, L., Singh, P., & Ezzedeen, S. (2012). Human resource systems and sustained competitive advantage: An ethical climate perspective. Academy of Management, Boston, MA.