The Law & Society program is an undergraduate, interdisciplinary
Honours program in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
that examines law in its broader social and cultural context. It is
one of the oldest and largest such legal studies programs in North America with an over 30-year history and approximately 1,000 Majors. Our faculty brings a range of interdisciplinary expertise and training
to the classroom and draw from fields as diverse as anthropology, history, philosophy, law, sociology, criminology and political science.
The goals of the Law & Society program are to promote the intellectual
importance of the study of Law & Society, and law in society; to
provide a framework within which students may explore different
approaches to law using interdisciplinary approaches as well as international and comparative perspectives; to equip students with critical skills for socio-legal study and research; and to sharpen a
view of law as implicated in the everyday life of students. The program must be seen within the context of a liberal arts undergraduate education. It is designed for interested undergraduate students, whatever their future career orientation.
News & Events
Drop in Advising
August 2014 Drop in Advising Dates: click here
- Please bring your completed check list to your advising appointment and a list of your completed courses. Click here for check lists.
- Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Academic Advising Centre York University
- Ask a Faculty Expert
- What can I do with my Law & Society Degree?
- 2014-2015 Law & Society Calendar
- Course offerings are subject to change. Please confirm on the York University web site.
- List of approved General Education courses: Click here
Changing Your Major?
- Please apply on-line starting February 1, 2015. The deadline is
March 1, 2015. Click here
- Students applying to change their major to Law & Society must have a minimum GPA of 5.0. Having a GPA of 5.0 does not guarantee admission as spaces in the program are limited and will be awarded competitively based on GPA.
- Once you have applied, please email me at email@example.com
Approved change of majors will be processed by approximately June 6th, 2014. Starting June 6th, please check your change of major status via your Passport York account.
- For assistance in selecting another major for this year, please set up an advising appointment with :