The Law & Society program is an undergraduate, interdisciplinary
Honours program in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
that examines law in its broader social and cultural context. It is
one of the oldest and largest such legal studies programs in North America with an over 30-year history and approximately 1,000 Majors. Our faculty brings a range of interdisciplinary expertise and training
to the classroom and draw from fields as diverse as anthropology, history, philosophy, law, sociology, criminology and political science.
The goals of the Law & Society program are to promote the intellectual
importance of the study of Law & Society, and law in society; to
provide a framework within which students may explore different
approaches to law using interdisciplinary approaches as well as international and comparative perspectives; to equip students with critical skills for socio-legal study and research; and to sharpen a
view of law as implicated in the everyday life of students. The program must be seen within the context of a liberal arts undergraduate education. It is designed for interested undergraduate students, whatever their future career orientation.
News & Events
Drop in Advising Dates for June & July 2015: click here
- Please bring your completed check list to your advising appointment and a list of your completed courses. Click here for check lists.
- Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Academic Advising Centre York University
- Ask a Faculty Expert
- What can I do with my Law & Society Degree?
- For immediate assistance, please contact the Main Social Science Reception 416-736- 5054.
The Law & Society Program Office will be closed Wednesday, July 2nd to July 17th inclusive. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- 2015-2016 Law & Society Calendar
- Course offerings are subject to change. Please confirm on the York University web site.
- List of approved General Education courses: Click here
Changing Your Major?
For 2015-16: We are currently full. Applications for a change were accepted between February 1, 2015 and May 1, 2015. If your application was unsuccessful, please set up an advising appointment with
to select another major.
For 2016- 2017:
Please apply online starting February 1, 2016. The deadline is May 1, 2016. Click here. Students applying to change their major to LASO must have a minimum GPA of 5.0. Having a GPA of 5.0 does not guarantee admission as spaces in the program are limited and will be awarded competitively based on GPA. Once you have applied online, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you have applied for the change.
- Approved change of majors will be processed by approximately June 6th, 2016. Starting June 6th, please check your change of major status via your Passport York account.