Alison Halsall and Jonathan Warren received the 2023 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards for Best Academic/Scholarly Work for The LGBTQ+ Comics Studies Reader: Critical Openings, Future Directions. The awards, named after the acclaimed comics creator Will Eisner, honour the best publications and creators in comics and graphic novels.
"The LGBTQ Comics Studies Reader explores the exemplary trove of LGBTQ comics that coalesced in the underground and alternative comix scenes of the mid-1960s and in the decades after. Through insightful essays and interviews with leading comics figures, volume contributors illuminate the critical opportunities, current interactions, and future directions of these comics." — Provided by publisher.
Best Academic/Scholarly Work
- Bandits, Misfits, and Superheroes: Whiteness and Its Borderlands in American Comics and Graphic Novels, by Josef Benson and Doug Singsen (University Press of Mississippi)
- Graphic Medicine, edited by Erin La Cour and Anna Poletti (University of Hawai’i’ Press)
- How Comics Travel: Publication, Translation, Radical Literacies, by Katherine Kelp-Stebbins (Ohio State University Press)
- WINNER: The LGBTQ+ Comics Studies Reader: Critical Openings, Future Directions, edited by Alison Halsall and Jonathan Warren (University Press of Mississippi)
- Teaching with Comics and Graphic Novels. By Tim Smyth (Routledge)