The Department of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics offers undergraduate courses and program options (BA and Honours BA) with majors or minors in German Studies, Italian Studies, Italian Culture, Portuguese and Luso-Brazilian Studies, and Spanish. The iBA (International BA) is available to students in German Studies and Italian Studies. Students may also pursue a Minor in Japanese Studies.
Students may also pursue a BA or Honours BA with a major or minor in Linguistics, the discipline concerned with discovering the organizing principles of human language and applying these principles to the description of individual languages.
A variety of language and culture courses are offered in American Sign Language, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Greek (both Classical and Modern), Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Jamaican Creole, Korean, Latin, Persian, Russian, Swahili and Yiddish.
Courses in ESL foster the developing abilities of domestic and international students to use English for academic purposes, allowing them to engage more fully in their programs.
- Saturday, July 11, 1:00-4pm - Toronto 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Poet-Tree Project Celebration at York: Founders Assembly Hall Founders College, main level. Check out the Poet-tree video
- DLLL Research Symposium - 9:00-5:30 - February 27, 2015
Founders Senior Common Room FC 305
- Spanish Lecture Series - 4:30pm, Founders College Sr. Common Room
- March 5: "Transformations in Quechua Literature: Peru, 1900-1950"
- March 19: "Conceptualizing the Landscape of Language and Trauma within Host-Foreign Linguistic Immersions through the Study Of Oscar Hijuelos' Thoughts without Cigarettes"
- Participate in the creation of the York University TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Poet-Tree installation. Win Prizes
Office: S561 Ross Building
Hours of Operation:
Mon. - Fri. 8:30am - 3:30pm
(Languages & Literatures)
Graduate Program in Linguistics and Applied Linguistics