The Department of French Studies (DFS) on the Keele Campus offers a comprehensive undergraduate program (BA) with an interdisciplinary approach to the study of language, linguistics and literature. The Graduate Program (M.A. and Ph. D.) in Francophone Studies features two streams: literature and linguistics.
The DFS also offers students:
Every three years, the DFS hosts a French Contest for high school students from the Toronto region. The contest offers entrance scholarships to the winners. The contest will next be held on the Keele campus in 2015.
In the Graduate Program (M.A. and Ph. D.) in Francophone Studies, students may specialize in literature or linguistics. The literature stream aims at training students in literary research notably in relation to narrative discourse. The linguistics stream aims at training students in Linguistic research via an in-depth investigation of key aspects of the structure of French and of the uses of this language in discourse.
High School Teachers and Students! Book a visit to our department!
- Summer Courses 2013
- The Chair's Honour Roll (B+ or better) 2011-2012
- Toronto Universities' French Contest 2012 (York University)
Winners of the Toronto Universities French Contest 2012
- March 28, 2013: Lecture by Gwenaëlle Aubry, French writer and philosopher
- May 8-10, 2014: Colloque du Centre International de Rencontres sur le 17e siècle « S'exprimer autrement: poétique et enjeux de l'allégorie à l'époque classique », organised by Marie-Christine Pioffet.
Documents, Forms and Links
- Presentation of French Program at York (Keele)
- French Language Placement Questionnaire
- Letter of Permission (LOP)-Taking a course at another university
- Application to Graduate with a Certificate
- Application for Teaching Assistant Position in Bordeaux
- 2012-2013 Departmental Guide
- DFS Conference Travel Form 2012-2013
- DFS Expense Claim Checklist
- Finance Forms
- Human Resources Forms
- Class Lists
- Final Exam/Assignment Deferred Standing Agreement form
- Grades Input
- Online Course Textbook Request
Lélia Young (dir.)
Langages poétiques et poésie francophone en Amérique du Nord, Presses de l'Université Laval, 2012.
Diane Woody (ed.), Correspondance de Mme de Graffigny, vol 13, Oxford: Voltaire Foundation, 2010.
Janusz Przychodzen (dir.), Asie du soi, Asie de l'autre, Presses de l'Université Laval, 2009.
Espaces lointains, espaces rêvés, P U De Paris-Sorbonne, 2007.