The Department of French Studies (DFS) on the Keele Campus offers a comprehensive undergraduate program (BA) with an interdisciplinary approach to the study of language, linguistics and literature. The Graduate Program (M.A. and Ph. D.) in Francophone Studies features two streams: literature and linguistics. For more information, go to: www.yorku.ca/francais/
The DFS also offers students:
- An exchange program with the Université Michel de Montaigne in Bordeaux, and l'Université Paris-Est Créteil (France);
- Certificates of Language Proficiency in French;
- The Multimedia Language Centre (MLC) with access to a wide range of resources: interactive language-learning exercises; voice recording software; French language proofing tools; a multimedia French language encyclopedia;
- Extracurricular activities in French including cultural events, learning support, career workshops and seminars, which allow students to use French in a non-academic environment and prepare, as well, for the working world.
Every three years, the DFS hosts a French Contest for high school students from the Toronto region. The contest offers entrance scholarships to the winners. The contest will next be held on the Keele campus in 2015.
High School Teachers and Students! Book a visit to our department!
News & Events
- Nov 2 or 3 - 10:00-11:00am Graduate Studies Scholarships Workshop
- Nov 9 - 9:30 - 11:00am or 2:30 -4:00pm Essay Writing & Revising Workshop
- Nov 11 - 12:30 - 1:30pm or 3:30 -4:30pm Participating in your Class & Tutorials Workshop
- New course addition for Fall 2015/16 - AP/FR 1060 6.0 Business and Culture in French M and W 1:00-2:30 pm.
Documents, Forms and Links
- French Language Placement Questionnaire
- Letter of Permission (LOP)-Taking a course at another university
- Application to Graduate with a Certificate