Graduating students receive Faculty of Science medals for high achievement

Congratulations to undergraduate students Areeba Chaudhry, Sarah Pullano and Nicole Frias for receiving the Faculty of Science Gold and Silver Medals at the Spring Convocation Ceremony on June 22, 2023. Pullano and Chaudhry received a Gold Medal, which is presented to Science students graduating with the highest GPA, and Frias received the Silver Medal, which goes to a Science student who has combined the highest degree of academic achievement with the greatest contribution to undergraduate student life at York.

Areeba Chaudhry

Areeba Chaudhry - Gold Medal

Chaudhry, who majored in biomedical science, received the prestigious regional McCall MacBain and Life Science Ontario scholarships for her leadership and research experiences during her time at York. She also received three NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Awards, and in 2022, received second prize for best oral presentation at the Faculty’s Undergraduate Summer Research Conference. On campus, Chaudhry represented the student voice as an elected member of the Science Student Caucus, served as a Peer Mentor, and was hired as a PASS Leader to create supplementary lessons for first-year biology students. In fall 2023, she will be starting medical school at the University of Toronto to pursue her dream of becoming a physician.

Sarah Pullano

Sarah Pullano – Gold Medal

Pullano, who majored in biology, received the York University President's Scholarship, the Toronto Transportation Club Scholarship, and the LiUNA! Local 183 Scholarship over her four years at York. In her last year of study, she became more involved by joining the Bethune College Council, which she says, “taught me the importance of building a sense of community during my undergraduate career.” During her final semester, she began volunteering in a lab, which ignited her interest in research and inspired to pursue an MSc at York under the supervision of Professor Nikola Kovinich in the Department of Biology.

Nicole Frias - Silver Medal

Frias, who majored in biochemistry, was the top student graduating from any program in the Department of Chemistry this year. The letters from her research mentors, with whom she held NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Awards, highlighted how her exceptional intellect and natural curiosity enabled her to make significant research contributions as an undergraduate researcher, including co-authoring a peer-reviewed publication. She also received the 2023 Canadian Society for Chemistry Silver Medal for her high academic standing.

Frias received the 2019 Student Life award for her contributions to the campus life of undergraduate students. She also served as a Science Ambassador, which involved meeting with prospective students and parents and working on social media campaigns, and as an Orientation Leader at Bethune College. As co-president of “Breaking Stigmas,” she supported her fellow students by raising awareness around mental health.

She will be continuing her research career by pursuing graduate studies in the Department of Pharmacology & Toxicology at the University of Toronto.