Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Academic Advising » Program Changes

Program Changes

Sometimes you may find your choice of major is not really working out for you. Your interests may change, they may deepen and you want to specialize, they may broaden and you want to include new areas of study. Changing majors is a possibility but you should seek advice.

There are many types of program changes.

Sometimes changing your major may mean also changing Faculties (Science to Health for example) and sometimes it may also mean changing your degree (from BA to BSc for example).

Sometimes you may find your interests becoming more focussed in the major you have chosen. You may want to change from an Honours program to a Specialized Honours.

All of these types of change requests (and others) can be submitted via the Registrar’s Office Program Change website, which includes a video tutorial on how to make change requests.

But advising is critical to help ensure success on your new path.

You should schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor in the program area to which you want to transfer. You can also schedule an appointment with a SAS advisor who will explain the change rules, admission requirements, processes, timelines and provide you with a degree checklist.

Within the Faculty of Science, students may submit a program change request between Feb. 1 and the 10th day of classes in the fall term.

Course Relief

York University allows eligible undergraduate students who have changed their program degree or major to exclude courses completed toward the prior major requirements from their Overall Cumulative GPA (OCGPA) and credit totals for their new program of study.

This policy aims to help students continue in and graduate from a new academic program.

You are eligible if you are either:

A.  a continuing undergraduate student who has:

  1. completed fewer than 84 earned credits and,
  2. met the eligibility requirements for a new academic program


B.  an undergraduate student returning after a Required Withdrawal or Debarment who:

  1. meets the eligibility requirements for the new program and,
  2. whose request for a program change has been approved by the new academic program

Courses eligible for exclusion from the OCGPA include all subject courses taken previously that will not count as major credits in the new academic program. You can use the previous major courses as elective credits in your new degree program.

The General Education and elective courses you completed in the first Major program are not eligible for Course Relief. Courses where a penalty for a breach of academic honesty is imposed are not eligible for Course Relief.

You must confirm your eligibility for the Course Relief Policy and become informed about the degree requirements for your new program. If you wish to exercise this option, you must visit your home academic advising office first to discuss your options.

A record of all completed courses and the original grades awarded will remain on your transcript. Courses which are excluded from your OCGPA under Course Relief will appear on your transcript with a qualifier (RLF) next to the grade.