|Opportunity Name||Discovery Award|
|Agency||Banting Research Foundation|
|Value||Up to $30,000|
|Duration||Up to 1 year (July 1 – June 30)|
Mandatory Notice of Intent (NOI)
|Intent to apply due at ORS||10-02-2023|
|NOI due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for full review||10-18-2023|
|NOI and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at email@example.com for mandatory review||10-25-2023|
|NOI and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||10-31-2023, by 9:00AM|
|NOI due at agency||11-01-2023, by 9:00PM|
Full application (by invitation only)
|Application due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for full review||01-10-2024|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at email@example.com for mandatory review||01-17-2024|
|Final application and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||01-22-2024, by 9:00AM|
|Application due at agency||01-24-2024, by 12:00PM (noon)|
- To fund innovative health and biomedical research projects by outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada.
- To provide seed funding so that applicants are able to gather pilot data to enhance their competitiveness for other sources of funding.
This competition is open to new investigators at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute who:
- Will be within the first three years of the date of their first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of January 24, 2024,
- Have not been awarded more than $250,000 in start-up funding by your institution, excluding support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI),
- Have not been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application date of January 24, 2024. (An applicant who has been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds may submit a request for up to $30,000, provided that the total sum of operating funds received from all sources during the funding year, including any funding awarded by The Banting Research Foundation, will not exceed $80,000.)
How to Apply
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.