|Opportunity Name||Emerging Scholar Research Grants Program 2023 (ESRG-23)|
|Agency||Canadian Cancer Society|
|Value||Up to $120,000/year|
*Date is tentative and subject to change
Letter of Intent (LOI)
|Mandatory non-competitive abstract due at agency||04-05-2023|
|LOI due to FSc RO at email@example.com for full review||04-19-2023*|
|LOI and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for mandatory review||04-26-2023*|
|LOI and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||05-03-2023*, by 9:00AM|
|LOI due at agency||05-03-2023*|
|Application due to FSc RO at email@example.com for full review||08-21-2023*|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for mandatory review||08-28-2023*|
|Final application, required commitment statement, and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||08-31-2023*, by 9:00AM|
|Application due at agency||09-04-2023*|
This program is aimed at establishing and advancing promising early career investigators from across Canada with a focused commitment to undertaking cancer research. Through this program, early career investigators will develop their cancer research programs in Canada and pursue important scientific advances of the highest quality and potential for impact in the four pillars of health research (biomedical; clinical; health services; and social, cultural, environmental and population health).
At the time of the award start date (December 1, 2023), applicants must:
- Be scientists or clinician scientists who hold a full-time appointment at an eligible Canadian research institution;
- Be within 7 years from the start of their first independent academic appointment (minimum assistant professor level, or equivalent).
- Have a firm faculty appointment;
- Not be current recipients of operating grants aimed at advancing the career development of early career investigators at the time of the ESRG funding start date (this includes but is not limited to TFRI New Investigator).
- Salary awards are generally accepted, however Canada Research Chair holders (at the time of grant start date) are not eligible to apply for CCS Emerging Scholar Research Grants.
Applications must include a letter of commitment from the host institution guaranteeing the applicant protected time allocated to cancer research as well as a description of available mentoring support and resources provided prior and during the proposal development, as well as in the future in case of success.
Please review the eligibility and requirements section prior to preparing an application.
How to Apply
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to email@example.com, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.