|Opportunity Name||Idea to Innovation (I2I) Grants Program|
|Agency||Lab2Market and NSERC|
|Application due to FSc RO at email@example.com for full review||06-13-2022|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for mandatory review||06-20-2022|
|Final application and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||06-23-2022 by 9:00AM|
|Application due at agency||06-27-2022|
To help researchers validate their ideas with the purpose of finding business/commercial value.
L2M NSERC offers researchers access to:
- training and innovation
- advisors, industry, and funders
- a vast entrepreneurial network
- the opportunity for future funding through the NSERC I2I Phase 1 grant.
Applicants must apply in teams consisting of a(n):
- Entrepreneurial Lead (EL) – A full time graduate student (Masters or PhD) student, postdoctoral fellow within five years of having finished their graduate degree, or research assistant. The EL is expected to work on the project full-time (20-40 hour/week) over the duration of the program, representing the team in all training sessions and leading all activities.
- Technical Lead (TL) – The principal investigator of the research project. The TL must be NSERC eligible.
The program is funded through NSERC’s I2I Market Assessment program and requires the support of the applicant’s respective Industry Liaison Office (ILO) or equivalent.
- You must hold or have a firm offer of an academic appointment at an eligible post-secondary institution.
- Your position at the eligible post-secondary institution must (for university faculty):
- require you to engage in natural sciences and engineering research that is not under the direction of another individual.
- permit you to supervise or co-supervise the research of postdoctoral fellows or students registered in an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- Your faculty appointment must not be conditional on obtaining NSERC grants or other non-NSERC sources of support, including salary support.
- Your salary must not be paid by NSERC, SSHRC, or CIHR grant funds. Exceptions include: scientific directors of Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) and those under the agencies’ salary support programs.
How to Apply
Proposals under this program must receive written confirmation of support from York Innovation before an application can be started. Please contact Yaser Kerachian, Commercialization Manager for VISTA at email@example.com or ext. 33843, for VISTA related proposals. For everyone else, please contact Anna Han, Commercialization Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 44315, prior to preparing your application.
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to email@example.com, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.
For specific questions, please contact your FSc Research Officer
(Biology, Physics & Astronomy, Science, Technology & Society)
Phoebe Tsz-Wai Chan
(Chemistry, Mathematics & Statistics)