|Opportunity Name||Elevate Program|
|Value||Thematic — $80,000/year|
Standard — $60,000/year
|Intent to Apply and Conflict of Interest submission due at agency||01-11-2023, by 5:00PM (PT)|
|Application due to FSc RO at email@example.com for full review||01-25-2023|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for mandatory review||02-01-2023|
|Final application and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||02-06-2023, by 9:00AM|
|Application due at agency||02-08-2023, by 8:00PM (PT)|
Mitacs Elevate is open to all disciplines and provides critical career and skills training to postdoctoral fellows through real-world collaborations. Through Elevate, postdoctoral fellows get the opportunity to:
- Manage a long-term collaborative research project with a company or a not-for-profit organization
- Receive exclusive professional development training in career fundamentals, interpersonal skills, communication, intrapreneurialism, leadership and management, and much more
- Cultivate cross-disciplinary networks and take advantage of peer-learning opportunities
The following two award options are being offered: Standard and Thematic.
- Thematic awards are valued at $80,000 per year with a minimum stipend of $70,000 for projects addressing at least one of the key priority sectors of agriculture and food, artificial intelligence, biomanufacturing, clean technology, entertainment and media, quantum science or social innovation (partner organization contributes $40,000 per year).
- Standard awards are valued at $60,000 per year with a minimum stipend of $55,000 (partner organization contributes $30,000 per year).
Over the two-year fellowship, fellows divide their time between their partner organization's project and academic institution-based research with their academic supervisor.
- They are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or international applicants
- They are based at an academic institution (including colleges or polytechnics) located in Canada for the duration of the fellowship
- Their date of graduation from a PhD program is less than five years to proposed start date of the Elevate project, unless:Fellows who have had a break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave may be considered exceptions and must be approved in advance of application
- If this situation applies to you or you have any questions, please contact Mitacs at elevate(at)mitacs.ca
- They have fulfilled all PhD degree requirements (e.g., successful defence, final deposit, and sign-off of the dissertation), meet the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria at their home academic institution, hold a postdoctoral fellow status for the entire duration of their Mitacs Elevate fellowship
- They can commit to the two-year Mitacs Elevate fellowship, including the exclusive professional development curriculum. Replacement or substitute fellows are not allowed
- Fellows who have held a Mitacs Accelerate award as a Master's or PhD student are eligible as long as they have not completed more than one year (three internship units equivalent) of Mitacs Accelerate at postdoctoral level. This must be completed before the start of the Mitacs Elevate fellowship
- Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to this competition, please contact Rachel Sung, Senior Advisor, Business Development, Mitacs at email@example.com.
Post-docs should contact Kim McIntyre, Post-doctoral Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 22993, once they have approval from Mitacs to submit an application.
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to email@example.com, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.