|Opportunity Name||Discovery Grants and Northern Research Supplements Program|
|Agency||Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)|
|Value||Discovery Grants – Variable|
Northern Research Supplement – Up to $25,000/year
|Duration||Up to 5 years|
|Notification of Intent to Apply (NOI) due at agency||08-01-2023, by 8:00PM|
|Application due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for full review||10-16-2023|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at email@example.com for mandatory review||10-26-2023, by 9:00AM|
|Final application and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||N/A|
|Application due at agency||11-01-2023, by noon|
The Discovery Grants program assists in:
- promoting and maintaining a diversified base of high-quality research capability in the natural sciences and engineering in Canadian universities;
- fostering research excellence;
- providing a stimulating environment for research training.
The program supports ongoing programs of research with long-term goals rather than a single short-term project or collection of projects. These grants recognize the creativity and innovation that are at the heart of all research advances. Discovery Grants are typically five years in duration and are considered “grants in aid” of research, as they provide long-term operating funds and can facilitate access to funding from other programs but are not meant to support the full costs of a research program.
- You must hold or have a firm offer of an academic appointment at an eligible post-secondary institution.
- Your position at the eligible post-secondary institution must (for university faculty):
- require you to engage in natural sciences and engineering research that is not under the direction of another individual.
- permit you to supervise or co-supervise the research of postdoctoral fellows or students registered in an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- Your faculty appointment must not be conditional on obtaining NSERC grants or other non-NSERC sources of support, including salary support.
- Your salary must not be paid by NSERC, SSHRC, or CIHR grant funds. Exceptions include: scientific directors of Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) and those under the agencies’ salary support programs.
How to Apply
The Office of Research Services (ORS) treats the SSHRC Insight Grant, the NSERC Discovery and NRS Grants, and the CIHR Project Grant differently from all other external competitions. For these competitions, the NOI does not require an ORS checklist and can be submitted directly to the agency portal without Institutional review.