|Opportunity Name||BioCreate Program|
|Value||Up to $150,000 + $100,000 contribution|
|Intake form due at agency||12-15-2022|
|Application due to FSc RO at email@example.com for full review||01-04-2023|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for mandatory review||01-11-2023|
|Final application and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||01-16-2023, by 9:00AM|
|Application due at agency||01-18-2023|
Ontario Genomics’ BioCreate program is open to small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in southern Ontario seeking to commercialize genomics and engineering biology enabled products and/or technologies in the health, food and agriculture, and cleantech sectors at a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of 4+. BioCreate will provide funding, access to mentorship and business support to enable companies to raise additional financing to achieve commercial outcomes.
To be eligible for BioCreate, a proposal must conform to the following criteria:
- Applicants must be a Canadian or provincially incorporated business.
- Project must be led by a SME located in southern Ontario.
- Include use of genomics or engineering biology technology, or be genomics or engineering biology-enabled or enabling.
- Conduct research and development starting at TRL 4+ and advance to TRL 7+ during the project.
- Each project must be matched with $100,000 minimum in funding from the company. Cash and/or in-kind from the company or project partners can be used to match the funding.
- The project must be performed in Ontario and awarded funds cannot flow outside of Ontario unless first approved by Ontario Genomics.
- Funded projects must clearly articulate their plan to attract investment, create jobs and improve lives in southern Ontario in the near to long-term.
- Project should be 18-months in duration.
- Applicants must follow the application process outlined.
How to Apply
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to email@example.com, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.