|Opportunity Name||Research Award Program|
|Value||Faculty Innovation Award – Up to $100,000 USD |
Focused Research Award – Up to $150,000 USD
|Indirect Costs||Eligible at 40%|
|Duration||1 year, with a possible extension|
|Application due to FSc RO at email@example.com for full review||08-31-2023|
|Application and fully signed ORS checklist due to FSc RO at firstname.lastname@example.org for mandatory review||09-08-2023|
|Final application and fully signed ORS checklist due at ORS for mandatory review||09-13-2023, by 9:00AM|
|Application due at agency||09-15-2023, by 11:59PM|
To provide cutting-edge academic research and helps build a collaborative relationship between faculty and Sony researchers.
Researchers may apply under the following two Target Award Programs:
Faculty Innovation Award – Sony would like to partner with universities to help cultivate advanced concepts and fertilize their own research and development. Funds will be provided to conduct pioneering research in the areas listed below:
- Information Technology
- Audio, Music, Speech and Language Processing
- Brain Technology
- Computer Vision
- Data Mining
- Human Sensing and Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Planetary Sensing
- RF Sensing
- Systems and Networking
- Devices and Materials
- Display Device/Material
- Photonic Processing
- Remote Sensing
- Sustainable Devices and Materials
- Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Mental Health
Focused Research Award – This Award provides an opportunity for university faculty, research institutes, and Sony to conduct collaborative, focused research in the areas listed below:
- Universal Multi-Source Domain Adaptation
- Future Network System and Its Fundamental Core Technology Designs
- Novel Actuator and Mechanism for Robots
- New Optical Functions for/in High-peak-power Solid-state Surface Emitting Lasers
- Novel Optics Technologies for AR/VR/MR Displays
- Novel Biological Applications using Microfluidic Compartments
- Advanced Image Processing enabled by AI
- AI-based Digital Human Content Creation
- Application Specific Optimization for Zero-Knowledge Proof
- Object Streaming Technology
- Cognitive Process Modeling
- Interactive Experiences with Virtual Agents and Objects
Principal Investigators (PIs) must meet the eligibility criteria below.
- Must belong to a university, educational institution, or governmental/non-profit research institute.
- Must be a full-time professor (adjunct professors and adjunct researchers are not eligible) or researcher and be eligible to supervise Ph.D. students at the PI's institution. Full professors, associate professors, and assistant professors are eligible to apply.
- Must be in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
How to Apply
Please note that the submission process requires applicants to click an acceptance box certifying that they are authorized to bind both themselves and the university. Applicants must submit their application along with a completed and fully signed ORS Checklist to email@example.com no later than 9:00am on Wednesday, 13 September 2023 for review. Once ORS has reviewed and confirmed all is in order, an e-mail will be sent to the applicant authorizing submission of the application on behalf of the university.
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.