|Award Name||York Research Chair|
|Value||Up to $25,000/year|
|Faculties to submit Notice of Intent (NOI) and equity, diversity, and inclusion documentation to VPRI at firstname.lastname@example.org||09-30-2022|
|Full nomination files due to VPRI at email@example.com||12-01-2022|
York Research Chairs are awarded competitively based on the excellence and demonstrated leadership of the candidates. The Vice-President Research & Innovation (VPRI) and the Vice-President Academic & Provost (Provost) invite Faculties to nominate York faculty members in accordance with Faculty nomination processes governed by all applicable Faculty policies and practices, and according to a procedure established by the Faculty.
The York Research Chairs program generally mirrors the federal Canada Research Chairs program, to broaden and deepen the impact of research chairs at York in building and intensifying world‐renowned research across the institution. Thus, the level of support and recognition provided to York Research Chairs is expected to be aligned with the supports and recognition provided through the CRC program.
York Research Chairs are awarded competitively based on the criteria of excellence in research and scholarship, contributions to research leadership, and the fostering of equity, diversity and inclusion within their research programs. The program broadly supports research in all areas and disciplines, with the role of Chairs expected to be addressed in Unit, Faculty, and Institutional research plans.
Up to seven centrally supported Chairs will be funded for 2023 as follows:
- Up to three Tier 1 Chairs;
- Up to two Tier 2 Chairs; and
- Up to two Early-Career Tier 2 Chairs.
- Tier 1 York Research Chairs are open to established research leaders at the rank of Full Professor.
- Tier 2 York Research Chairs are normally aimed at emerging research leaders within 15 years of their first academic appointment, excluding leaves.
- Due to interruptions this past year from COVID-19, this eligibility period is automatically being extended by one year. As a result, nominees within 16 years of their first academic appointment (i.e., 2006 or later for this year’s competition, excluding leaves) will be eligible.
- Early-Career Tier 2 York Research Chairs are intended for researchers who are within five years of their first academic appointment.
- Again, to account for interruptions due to COVID-19, for this year’s competition the eligibility period is being extended by one year, such that researchers appointed anytime in 2016 or later are eligible in the Early-Career category.
- A completed NOI Form, inclusive of:
- Faculty contact, nominee, and chair information.
- 200-word summary of research accomplishments.
- Names and contact information of 6 suggested external reviewers (not in a conflict of interest).
- Exclusion of potential reviewers (if applicable).
- Dean’s and nominee’s signatures.
- Provost’s signature for Faculty-based chairs (if applicable).
- Endorsement letter from VISTA Leadership Council (if applicable)
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Documentation
- The list of individuals considered for nomination by the Faculty.
- A report describing how considerations around equity, diversity and inclusion were integrated into the Faculty’s nominee selection process.
Full Nomination Package
- Signed ORS Checklist (as separate pdf document).
- Letter from non-nominating Faculty outlining teaching release supports (for cross-appointed nominees).
- A completed Nomination Form, inclusive of signatures, with attachments in one PDF document, in the following order:
- Description of the proposed research program.
- Description of nominee’s expected contributions to research leadership at York.
- Curated CV (see instructions in the full application form).
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan (as separate pdf document).
It is minimally expected that the Faculty will hold an open call, a Faculty‐level committee will review nominations using an established adjudication rubric, and recommendations will be put forward to the Dean. The Dean will then submit a final slate to the VPRI. Considerations of equity, diversity and inclusion must factor into the nominee selection process.
Faculties should be cognizant of the number of York Research Chairs available in any given cycle when determining their nominations and must be realistic in their expectations in developing nominations for their scholars.
How to Apply
York University researchers are reminded that all applications for external research funding, including Letters of Intent, must be reviewed and approved by the Office of Research Services before they are submitted to the granting agency. For internal approval, the application must be accompanied by a completed ORS Checklist, which requires the Dean’s signature. Please send the complete application, with the finalized budget and a completed ORS checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org, five days prior to agency deadline.
ORS is accepting electronic applications – the process is outlined here.