The Advanced Certificate in Hebrew & Jewish Studies is for Jewish Teacher Education (JTE) students in the Direct Entry Concurrent Model BA-BEd and is open to additional students who elect to earn this Certificate. Its 36 credits include 24 credits in Jewish Studies and 12 credits in modern Hebrew language.
Notes for Jewish Teacher Education Students
As part of this 36-credit Certificate, JTE students must take 12 credits in modern Hebrew language to strengthen their oral and written language skills for teaching.
NOTE: AP/HEB 3000 6.0, or Hebrew University’s Ulpan Gimel or an approved equivalent, is a prerequisite for beginning the two-year B.Ed. program in JTE.
Students whose language level meets or exceeds that of AP/HEB 3000 6.0, upon beginning the Direct Entry Concurrent Model BA-BEd, will strengthen their Hebrew by at least one full level by taking a course at an approved Ulpan or at Ivriyon.
Among their Certificate courses, JTE students take the following courses or approved equivalents:
- AP/HUMA 1880 6.0 The Jewish Experience
- AP/HUMA 3831 3.0 Torah and Tradition
- Elective courses in Jewish Studies taught in Hebrew or that make substantial use of texts in Hebrew, according to students’ areas of interest: Bible, Rabbinic texts, literature, arts and culture, history, Holocaust, society, and so forth.
In addition, qualification for the Certificate is subject to the following:
- At least 18 credits completed in fulfilment of these requirements must be at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- The cumulative grade point average in all 36 credits must be at least 5.0.
- Normally, no more than 18 credits may be taken outside York University, and no more than 12 credits taken at a non-BA-granting institution can go towards the fulfilment of the Certificate. Such credits are accepted at the discretion of the Certificate Coordinator. A transcript reflecting these credits must be submitted at the time of application for the Certificate. Where possible, syllabi should be provided for such courses as well.
- JTE courses taught in Hebrew in the Faculty of Education count toward the BEd; they do not count towards the requirements of the Advanced Certificate.
Those wishing to receive a Certificate must fill out an application form and submit it to the Centre for Jewish Studies. In order to receive the Certificate at convocation, the application should be submitted as early as possible in the semester prior to graduation.
Further information, including the list of approved courses and the Certificate application form, is available in the office of the ORU-Israel and Golda Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies (CJS) 763 York Research Tower (YRT), 416-736-5823, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For specific questions about the Advanced Certificate in Hebrew and Jewish Studies, please contact Program Coordinator Professor Ahouva Shulman at email@example.com.
For Jewish Teacher Education (JTE) student advising, planning, and consultation about course work and approved equivalents, please contact Professor L. Wiseman at LWiseman@edu.yorku.ca.
For specific information about courses offered in Hebrew, please contact Professor Ahouva Shulman at firstname.lastname@example.org or the office of the Department of Languages, Literatures & Linguistics, 561 Ross South, 416-736-5016.