Skip to main content Skip to local navigation

AP/POLS 4990 3.0 Supervised Reading and Research

AP/POLS 4990 3.0 Supervised Reading and Research

Home » Political Science » Courses » AP/POLS 4990 3.0 Supervised Reading and Research

AP/POLS 4990 6.00

Supervised Reading and Research

A supervised reading course allows a student to work one-on-one with a faculty member to complete a course. Students may take a supervised reading/ research course, either on a full-year or half-year basis, if they meet the following requirements: -Have completed at least 84 credits (fourteen full course equivalents) completed at the University -Currently majoring in Political Science, normally with at least 30 credits (five full course equivalents) in Political Science in good standing -Have identified a full time faculty member from the LA&PS Political Science department whose research interests match his/her proposed topic(s) and who is willing to work with you on the course -Not duplicate the scope and content of a regularly scheduled course, and should be on a topic in which the student already has done some course work -Observe the normal term deadlines for completing work and submitting gradesĀ  Steps to take: 1) Pick up the Supervised Reading and Research contract form from the Political Science Undergraduate Office(S672 Ross). 2)Consult with full-time members of the Department to locate a full-time faculty member willing to work with you on your course. Approach faculty members in person with a written plan of what you would like to do, including a bibliography. For a list of full-time faculty in LA&PS Political Science, see the faculty section of our minicalendar. Note: LA&PS faculty members are often unavailable during the summer, so it is best to plan a reading course for September to April. 3) In consultation with the faculty member, complete the form, including an outline, a description of the reading course, grade breakdown, and reading list, etc. 4) The student must return the signed form, in per- son, to the Undergraduate office (both the faculty member and the student must sign.) 5)Once the Undergraduate Director approves the course, you will be given special permission to access the course through the Online Enrolment System