The Biology program, York’s longest-established scientific program, is home to internationally-recognized teaching and research faculty. The science of biology encompasses the study of all living organisms, from the molecular level to the level of ecosystems. The program offers you a diversity of courses from across the discipline, providing you with the flexibility to choose courses from many different areas or to specialize in a particular field of life science, such as molecular and structural biology, genetics, cell biology, ecology or physiology. Biology is offered as both a three and four year program, with a range of double majors and major/minor options.
An International BSc (iBSc) is also available, allowing you to combine a Biology major with international courses, new cultural experiences and language study. Graduates are well prepared for careers in medicine, biotechnology, management and policy development, medical and biological research, animal biology, and a diversity of other fields in many Biology-related industries in Toronto and beyond.
Includes: Conservation Ecology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Animal Biology (Zoology), Animal Physiology, Genetics/Molecular Genetics, Plant Science, Evolution and Ecology, Professional School Preparation
Typical First-Year Courses
- Computer Use
- General Education course
Experiential Education (EE) gives students the opportunity to apply theories learned in the classroom to concrete experiences. These experiences can occur within a course, community, or work/professional setting. The goal of EE is to deepen the learning objectives of a course or program, allowing students to better retain their knowledge of new concepts and be better prepared for life after graduation.
|Internship||Bioprocessor Andra-Bio)||Development of fermentation and biotransformation process for high-value flavours/ fragrance ingredients using engineered microorganisms|
How to Apply
- Complete an Online Application Form.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit supporting documents through the York University online portal, MyFile.
- Within four business days of application, you will receive a confirmation email with your nine-digit student reference number, which will allow you to access your MyFile account and upload your documents.
- It is important to check your MyFile regularly for any documents you are required to submit and updates to the status of your application.
- More information about supporting documents, document processing times and decision processing times is available on the I’ve Applied page.
Important Note: Deadlines for each entry period (Fall, Winter & Summer) can be found on the York University Future Students Website.
A degree from the Faculty of Science opens the door to many different pathways and opportunities. York Science offers an ideal learning environment to achieve your highest potential. Our programs are known for academic excellence, with professors who are committed to your success.
Our Experiential Education Coordinator provides career support services to students looking to engage in experiential learning, including co-op and internship workshops, resume help, interview prep, and much more.
The Career Center at York offers free support and resources to students such as career development workshops, one-on-one appointments, networking events, and job boards.
- Biology Research – academic, government, industry
- Medical Research
- Industry — technical information, product information, sales
- Education — elementary, high school, college, university
- Professional Schools – Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Law, Business, etc
- Health Sciences — nurse, chiropodist, biomedical technician, genetic counselor, diagnostic histologist,
- Environmental – conservationists, government agencies, environmental consultant, zoo keepers,
- Agriculture — ecologist, plant biologist, geneticist, molecular biologist, biochemist, entomologist
- Postgraduate Studies/Academic Career