Click here to visit the Biology Department site.
Includes: Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Genetics, Physiology, Professional School Preparation
York’s Biomedical Science program provides a comprehensive curriculum that will prepare you for a career in research in the field of Biomedical Science, or for medicine and other health-related professions. Research and laboratory experience begins in first year and continues throughout your program. Biomedical Science includes courses focused on emerging areas of biomedicine including physiology, microbiology, immunology, endocrinology, molecular genetics, and development.
This four year Honours program also allows you the option to do a minor in another related discipline, such as Chemistry, Psychology, or Kinesiology & Health Science. Biomedical Science is suited to students preparing for medical school, planning to do research in a particular area of biomedicine, or who simply want to explore many branches of this diverse and dynamic field.
Typical First-Year Courses
- Computer Use
- General Education course
Experiential Education (EE) gives students the opportunity to apply theories learned in the classroom to concrete experiences. These experiences can occur within a course, community, or work/professional setting. The goal of EE is to deepen the learning objectives of a course or program, allowing students to better retain their knowledge of new concepts and be better prepared for life after graduation.
|Internship||Bioprocessor (Andra-Bio)||Development of fermentation and biotransformation process for high-value flavours/ fragrance ingredients using engineered microorganisms|
|Co-op||Junior Analyst (Vaughan Mills Packaging LTD. [Biotalent])||Assist in development, implementation and execution of new product development, use of ESHA (nutrition labelling), sensory and shelf-life studies, support all production and purchasing/packaging of ingredients/ materials. Interns may have to standardize and transition these processes due to rotation.|
How to Apply
- Complete an Online Application Form.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit supporting documents through the York University online portal, MyFile.
- Within four business days of application, you will receive a confirmation email with your nine-digit student reference number, which will allow you to access your MyFile account and upload your documents.
- It is important to check your MyFile regularly for any documents you are required to submit and updates to the status of your application.
- More information about supporting documents, document processing times and decision processing times is available on the I’ve Applied page.
Important Note: Deadlines for each entry period (Fall, Winter & Summer) can be found on the York University Future Students Website.
A degree from the Faculty of Science opens the door to many different pathways and opportunities. York Science offers an ideal learning environment to achieve your highest potential. Our programs are known for academic excellence, with professors who are committed to your success.
Our Experiential Education Coordinator provides career support services to students looking to engage in experiential learning, including co-op and internship workshops, resume help, interview prep, and much more.
The Career Center at York offers free support and resources to students such as career development workshops, one-on-one appointments, networking events, and job boards.
- Biology Research – academic, government, industry
- Biomedical Research
- Industry – technical information, product information, sales
- Education – elementary, high school, college, university
- Professional Schools – Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Veterinary, Law, Business, etc
- Health Sciences – nurse, chiropodist, biomedical technician, genetic counsellor, diagnostic histologist
- Postgraduate Studies/Academic Career