Offered as a Bachelor of Science (BSc).
The health of the environment has become an urgent global concern. As we better understand how human survival and well-being depend on a healthy environment, public interest and awareness of the impact of human activities on other organisms and ecosystems are increasing. Environmental Biology prepares you for research and other careers in the field of environmental biology, allowing you to explore critical issues in conservation biology and biodiversity loss while making connections with areas such as human health, sustainability, environmental management, and public policy.
Our environmental biology program focuses on the biology of environmental issues, integrating ecological theory and practice to predict, quantify and address the impact of stressors such as habitat loss, pollutants, climate change, resource harvesting, and invasive species on living systems. A capstone course in fourth year prepares you to be a practicing environmental biologist, exposing you to cutting-edge experimental design and methodology.
Typical First-Year Courses
- Computer Use
- General Education course
Experiential Education (EE) gives students the opportunity to apply theories learned in the classroom to concrete experiences. These experiences can occur within a course, community, or work/professional setting. The goal of EE is to deepen the learning objectives of a course or program, allowing students to better retain their knowledge of new concepts and be better prepared for life after graduation.
|Co-op||The co-op program has recently been added to the environmental biology program. Please check back in the future for past placements.|
How to Apply
- Complete an Online Application Form.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit supporting documents through the York University online portal, MyFile.
- Within four business days of application, you will receive a confirmation email with your nine-digit student reference number, which will allow you to access your MyFile account and upload your documents.
- It is important to check your MyFile regularly for any documents you are required to submit and updates to the status of your application.
- More information about supporting documents, document processing times and decision processing times is available on the I’ve Applied page.
Important Note: Deadlines for each entry period (Fall, Winter & Summer) can be found on the York University Future Students Website.
A degree from the Faculty of Science opens the door to many different pathways and opportunities. York Science offers an ideal learning environment to achieve your highest potential. Our programs are known for academic excellence, with professors who are committed to your success.
Our Experiential Education Coordinator provides career support services to students looking to engage in experiential learning, including co-op and internship workshops, resume help, interview prep, and much more.
The Career Center at York offers free support and resources to students such as career development workshops, one-on-one appointments, networking events, and job boards.
- Research – academic, government, industry
- Conservationists, Natural Resource Conservation
- Environmental consultant, Environmental Assessment and Restoration
- Public Policy, Health
- Law, Business
- Government agencies
- Zoo keepers, park naturalists, ornithologist
- Hydrologist, climatologist
- Agriculture – ecologist, plant biologist, forester, agronomist
- Postgraduate Studies/Academic Career
- Professional Schools – Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Law, Business, etc
- Education – elementary, high school, college, university