The IBH Summer School is a four-week summer program (August 1 – 24, 2023) in which students from around the world come together to study German and learn about about Lake Constance area.
The IBH summer school is offered to eligible Ontario students thanks to a special agreement between the OBW program and the Universität Konstanz. We consider it to be academically excellent. As OBW nominees to the program, Ontario students qualify for the reduced “insider” price.
There is no German-language prerequisite for successful participation in the IBH. Classes are offered at level A1 (basic) to C1 (advanced). Students from participating Ontario universities may apply who intend either:
- to participate in the IBH as a stand-alone experience and then return to their studies in Ontario; or
- to participate in the IBH in preparation for a longer stay in Baden-Württemberg as a student in the “traditional” OBW student exchange. (Please note, however, that students who are finishing or have previously completed a longer period of exchange study (incl. the Summer Research Program) in Baden-Württemberg are ineligible to apply.)
Students who wish to have the IBH credit transferred to their academic record in Ontario should seek advice from their home university’s International Student Exchange Office and/or their academic counselors. Successful completion of the language course is documented with a transcript showing 6 ECTS credits.
The IBH is a cooperative venture of 30 postsecondary institutions in the four countries surrounding Lake Constance. The Summer School takes place at the University of Konstanz, in Germany, from where the OBW program is coordinated on the Baden-Württemberg side, and where many Ontario students since 1990 have spent a wonderful exchange year.
- This Fact Sheet provides an overview of the 2023 program
- Information pamphlet
- Full information on all aspects of the Internationale Bodensee Hochschule can be found on the IBH section of the University of Konstanz website.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- be pursuing a degree at a participating Ontario university;
- be registered at that university in the academic year preceding participation in the IBH; and
- be continuing in the same academic program in the academic year following participation.
Students who have participated in the IBH in an earlier year are ineligible to apply in the current year.
How to Apply
To apply, you must:
- complete and submit the York University online OBW-specific 2022 IBH application form or the Ontario students online OBW-specific 2022 IBH application form;
- write a statement of your reasons for applying to participate in this program (max. 1 page, double-spaced);
- provide a copy of your academic transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended since September 2018; and
- submit your complete application to your home university’s International Student Exchange Office.
Please note that you have to meet the application deadline set by your university’s International Office.
- You must apply through the International Student Exchange Office of your home university. Please do NOT submit your own application directly to either the IBH or the OBW office.
- If you are accepted by OBW to participate in the IBH program, we will send your information on the IBH registration process in place at the University of Konstanz. Please do NOT attempt to register directly with the IBH before receiving confirmation of the successful outcome of your OBW-specific application.
Acceptance and Registration
OBW will, as soon as the results are finalized, advise your home university of the outcome of your application. If your application is successful, your name will be on a list that we send to the Univesity of Konstanz, and we will be in touch with you with further paperwork and instructions, including advising that you should at that point register directly online with the IBH at the University of Konstanz.
The deadline for the completion of this step will be May 31, 2022.
The 2022 cost for OBW participants in the IBH Summer School will be provided at a later date.
The deadline for the full payment of fees to the University of Konstanz is June 15, 2022. Please be aware of the terms stated on the University of Konstanz website that will apply if you later have to cancel.