Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Classical Studies » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Courses in Ancient Greek and Latin are mandatory for all degrees in Classics and for the Specialized Honours BA degree in Classical Studies. For all other degrees in Classical Studies, language courses are optional. Students taking a Classical Studies degree are encouraged, however, to make Ancient Greek and/or Latin a component of their Classical Studies degree program especially if they are even mildly contemplating graduate studies in Classics or Ancient History.

For assistance in selecting your major, you may arrange an advising appointment with the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Academic Advising Centre, or you can change your major or minor (or add a major or minor) online at this location.

Students will typically enter the Classics degree programs by enrolling in AP/GK 1000 6.0 and/or AP/LA 1000 6.0 in the Department of Languages, Literatures & Linguistics. This requirement may be waived for students who had previous instruction in these languages and who successfully pass a placement test; in this case the student will enter the programs by enrolling in a 2000 level Latin and/or Greek course.

Students will normally enter the degree programs in Classical Studies by taking AP/HUMA 1100 9.0, AP/HUMA 1105 9.0, or AP/HUMA 1115 9.0 (Note: only six credits of these courses will count towards the Classical Studies major) and/or AP/HIST 2100 6.0 and/or AP/LA 1000 6.0 or AP/GK 1000 6.0.

Checklists for all degree programs can be found on the Classical Studies website (see Degree Checklists). You can access your Degree Progress Report online at My Degree Progress (please note, if you are a double major or major/minor, you cannot use this report at the moment).

It is expected that students will monitor and track their progress and be aware of all requirements and policies. The coordinator and advisors in the LA&PS office are here to advise you on the various options from which you may choose.

Centre for Student Success Academic Advising Office
103 Central Square
Tel: 416-736-5222
Fax: 416-736-5294
Hours: 8:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. (Monday to Thursday) and 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (Friday)
To Book Appointment: Academic Advising Services

The York GPA calculator can be found at Student Resources - GPA Calculator. At the bottom of this page you can also find a Reverse GPA Calculator to help you calculate the grades required in a future session to attain a specific GPA.

You should first consult the TA or course director in your course. If you would still like to speak to someone about your grade, you should visit the home department that offers the course (for example, the home department for HUMA courses is Humanities; the home department for HIST courses is History; the home department for LA 1000 and GK 1000 is DLLL; the home department for LA 2000, GK 2000, and 3000-level and 4000-level Ancient Greek and Latin courses is Humanities). If you are appealing a final grade, you should be aware of the deadline for filing your appeal.

The Senate Policy on Academic Honesty can be found on the Secretariat webpage on Academic Honesty polices. For information about issues involving academic integrity and plagiarism, visit York's SPARK website.

The Student Code of Conduct is available on the Secretariat Policies website.

York has a number of resources that can help you in these areas. You can visit the Centre for Academic Writing in S329 Ross Building (416-736-5134). You can visit The Writing Centre website for more resources such as E-tutors to comment on essay drafts. You can also visit the Learning Skills Services web page for more resources.

4000-level Individualized Reading Courses in Classical Greek and Latin (half courses or full courses) are only offered under special circumstances and by agreement among a faculty member, the Program in Classical Studies, and the student. Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies regulations pertaining to Independent Reading courses apply. For information about directed reading courses, see the LA&PS Directed Reading Application Form.

Reading courses should be initiated by students. Before being allowed to take such courses, students should have completed the 3000-level language courses or the 4000-level language courses in their area of study within the Program. The student will present the plan for the course to the faculty member (the "supervisor") who has agreed to direct the student.

The faculty member will approve the course of study and sign the form. The student will then bring the form for final approval to the program coordinator. This final approval must be secured before gaining entry to such courses. After approval by the coordinator, the student should then take the completed and signed form to the Undergraduate Program Coordinator in the Department of Humanities (Vanier College 203) for processing. Relevant sessional dates apply.

The Program in Classical Studies encourages students to deepen their knowledge through study abroad. York International has information about study abroad. The program coordinator gives students information about summer archaeological digs throughout the year.

Please also review the LA&PS Study Abroad website for faculty specific information.

Yes. This is done either by Letter of Permission (if you wish to take a course elsewhere) or through York International (if you wish to study elsewhere for a term or a year). For requests to take a course elsewhere students should be in good standing (GPA 4.0).

You should consult the program coordinator for permission. Please bring information in paper form about the course you wish to take outside York. It is best to secure permission first before enrolling at the other university. Please allow sufficient time for your request to be considered. Make sure to include the following on your Letter of Permission:

  • Your e-mail address
  • Your current York faculty
  • Your major at York
  • The session requested (e.g., Winter 2021)
  • The full name of and location information for your host institution

Make sure that you have included with your Letter of Permission Request a brief written statement that gives the following information:

  • The precise dates of the session (beginning and end)
  • How many classroom hours the course involves
  • How many weeks of study the course involves
  • A detailed curriculum or course of study (including syllabus, if possible; textbook used; material covered and evaluation)
  • How many credits you are requesting
  • Why you wish to take this course elsewhere and not at York University

If you wish to study at another university for a term or more, you should contact York International.

Yes. You need to provide the Registrar's Office with the appropriate information on the Letter of Permission form. On the form, fill out the course and curriculum information for your chosen field school (which should be sponsored by an accredited university or academic institution).

The next step is to secure permission for your work at the field school to count towards your degree from the Coordinator of Classical Studies, who will determine the number of credits you can earn for the course (6 or 3) and at what level. Your completed Letter of Permission form can be dropped off at the Bennett Centre. The Registrar's Office will confirm receipt of your form.

After your return from field school, send your final official field school transcript to the Registrar's Office, which will contain a record of the grade you received (there is a deadline by which you should do this). The Registrar's Office should confirm receipt of your transcript and the credits you have received.

It is important to complete your Letter of Permission before you head off to the field school. Otherwise you will have to secure permission after the fact by means of the petitions process, which is time-consuming and more difficult. Also make sure to get your transcript to the Registrar's Office on time.

Students in Classical Studies are eligible for many awards in the University and the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, including the Classics Award, which is presented annually to the most promising student in Greek or Latin. In addition the Vanier College Convocation Prize is given annually to the graduating student in Classics or Classical Studies with the highest academic standing.

Promising students should consider applying for the Harry C. Maynard Scholarship in Classical Studies or the Harry C. Maynard Scholarship for Study in Classical Studies Abroad administered by the Ontario Classical Association. For details, consult its website under Scholarships ( The deadline for applications is usually late October.

Students applying for entry to any MA program in Classics, Ancient History or Ancient Philosophy in Canada may apply for the Desmond Conacher Scholarship. For details, see the CAC website. Applicants must be Canadian students (citizens or permanent residents) intending to enter the first year of graduate studies in a classics or similar program at a Canadian university. Applicants must be less than 28 years of age on January 1st of the year of application. The main criteria are academic achievement, professional promise and an appropriate undergraduate preparation.

The York University Classical Studies Students Association (YUCSSA) is open to all majors and minors in Classics and Classical Studies at York and to any student at York with an interest in and enthusiasm for the ancient world. For more information, visit YUCSSA's website.

All LA&PS students will be required to take a minimum of 21 General Education credits from the approved list of LA&PS General Education courses including:

  • 6.00 credits in Natural Science (NATS)
  • a 9.00 credit approved general education course in the social science or humanities categories
  • and a 6.00 credit approved general education course in the opposite category to the 9.00 credit course in social science or humanities already taken.

The Graduate Program offers Ancient History as one of its major fields of concentration at the MA and PhD levels. For more details, contact the Program Assistant, Graduate Program in History, 2172 Vari Hall, 416-736-5127.

The program welcomes students with interests in Classical topics, see the Humanities Graduate website. For more details, contact the Graduate Program Assistant, Department of Humanities, 215 Vanier College, 416-736-2100 x77400.

We would like to emphasize very strongly that to enter any graduate program in Classical Studies (for an MA or PhD), students need considerable exposure to the ancient languages, Ancient Greek and Latin: ideally four years of Latin and four of Greek.

Yes. For information for Visiting and Non-degree Students, see the Degree Planning Frequently Asked Questions.

Advising is handled by the coordinator. Visit the Humanities Advising web page to learn more. Please bring your completed check list and Degree Progress Report or a list of your completed courses to your advising appointment.