Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Degree Planning » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are taking only one major, you can find out more by going to your Degree Progress Report. If you are in a combined degree program, you can refer to the Academic Calendar for your start year. There you will find a degree checklist. If, after using the degree progress report, calendar and checklist, you still have questions about your graduation status, please speak with an academic advisor.

*Students with transfer credit from a previous post-secondary institution may notice that the transfer credits are not accounted for in the report. There is a link to your transfer credit statement on the report to help guide you.

This course selection guide (PDF) outlines the courses that students enroling in 30 credits normally take in their first year of study at York. Students may also choose to take fewer than 30 credits. This document is organized alphabetically by degree program and includes Major, General Education and elective courses that first-year students are recommended to take.

You should follow the General Education Requirements listed in the Academic Calendar. Please follow the links from the Faculty Rules section of the Academic Calendar for the year that you started your program.


  1. Visit the Academic Calendars website
  2. Select the Academic Year in which you started your program
  3. Click Faculty Rules on the left-side menu
  4. Under Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, select Rules and Regulations
  5. Click Degree Requirements
Which General Education Courses are currently available?


  1. Visit the courses website
  2. Select General Education Courses from the Search Current Courses By section
  3. Select the Session (term), Select LA&PS as the Faculty and then select your Degree

There are strict add and drop deadlines. If you are trying to add or drop a course past the deadline, please speak to an academic advisor. You may have to submit a petition. If you are unable to enrol in a course because spaces are reserved, please contact the department offering the course.

The Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies offers a large array of undergraduate programs. Explore this list of LA&PS programs to find the best fit for you. If you are thinking about changing your major, please make sure you meet the new program’s requirements. The Career Centre also has a number of resources to help you choose a major that fits you.

Students may request a program change. Please read all sections of this page carefully as it will help you determine the timing of your request. Also, make sure you meet all the requirements needed to enter the new Faculty, degree or program. In addition to a minimum GPA and the completion of prerequisite courses, some LA&PS programs have additional eligibility and advising requirements. Please contact the program’s office directly to confirm your eligibility before you submit your request. If you have previously been granted transfer credits, these may be re-assessed for the new program.

Students in a 120-credit Honours BA program who wish to switch to a 90-credit BA degree for graduation do not need to submit a change request. This change can be part of your application to graduate.

Once a student is accepted to York, the University conducts an assessment for transfer credits. This statement outlines how much transfer credit a student will receive and whether or not there are any waivers or exclusions of their degree requirements at York.

All course grades are derived from an evaluation of examination, where applicable, and term work. Students are not required to obtain a passing grade on a final examination in order to pass a course, except when the final examination represents more than 50 per cent of the final grade of the course. However in some cases students may be required to pass a specific course lab component in order to obtain a passing grade.

Eligibility to continue in or graduate from an undergraduate degree program will not be based on a minimum grade requirement for each major course. Some major subject areas may set requirements for a minimum cumulative GPA. Specific course grade requirements may also be set when a course is a prerequisite for upper-level courses or a core requirement. Course grades are not official until released by York.

The following table is to be used to convert percentage grades to letter grades:

PercentageLetter GradeGrade Point

Students may repeat a passed or failed course twice for academic degree or certificate credit, for a maximum of three attempts at a course. When a student is allowed to repeat a course for academic degree or certificate credit, the grade of the latest attempt will be the grade of record and the only grade calculated in the student’s grade point average (Major, Cumulative, Sessional and Overall). A course shall be credited only once towards satisfaction of degree or certificate academic credit requirements. Contact your academic advisor for more information.

Students must have a minimum 5.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) in order to maintain their Honours status. Those who meet this minimum academic standing can proceed with a 120-credit Honours BA degree (4 years); students who don’t meet minimum GPA can proceed in the 90-credit BA degree (3 years), which requires a 4.0 GPA (except for BAS and BHRM which requires 5.0). Once you attain a 5.0 cumulative GPA, you can return to your Honours program.

Please note that some Honours programs may also require minimum grades in specific courses or a major GPA.

Once enroled in the final required courses for your degree, you may apply to graduate. The Registrar's Office will audit your record and confirm that you are potentially eligible to graduate (a final audit will be conducted once grades for your final courses are released). Before you apply to graduate, please make sure you meet the degree requirements for the year you entered your program.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible to graduate, contact academic advisingConvocation ceremonies take place in June and in October.

Students who did not meet the minimum 4.0 cumulative GPA (5.0 for BAS and BHRM) in the session they completed their 90th credit will be allowed to take a maximum of 12 additional credits to try and raise their cumulative GPA to 4.0 and be able to graduate (these credits must be taken at York).

The following students are not eligible to graduate: 1) those who failed to meet the minimum cumulative GPA upon completing the 12 additional credits (your last option is to submit a petition to be allowed additional credits); 2) BAS and BHRM students who failed to meet the program warning conditions; and 3) BSW students who failed to maintain their Honours status.

Yes. Whether you are a visiting student from another university or are taking courses at York on a non-degree basis, the program office offering the course can provide you with information about course prerequisites.

For information about registering and enroling in courses, follow the links below:

Please reactivate your student record if you did not enrol in courses in the last Fall/Winter academic session and would like to return to York to finish your degree.

You will find helpful information on grade reports and academic decisions on Registrar's Office website. For more detailed inquiries, seek academic advising.

Fall/Winter session:

A full course load is defined as 30 credits during the Fall/Winter Session. Students may take a maximum of 36 credits overall ( and 18 credits per term) without petitioning.

Students with substantial familial or financial responsibilities outside the University are advised to consider taking fewer courses in a session.

It is recommended that students take their personal circumstances and academic standing into consideration before taking a course load of 36 credits in the Fall/Winter session.

Summer session:

A full course load is defined as 15 credits in the Summer session. Students may take a maximum of 18 credits overall without petitioning.

Students with substantial familial or financial responsibilities outside the University are advised to consider taking fewer courses in a session.

It is recommended that students take their personal circumstances and academic standing into consideration before taking a course load of 18 credits in the Summer session.