Welcome to the Geography Department at York University, one of the largest and most diverse geography departments in Canada. You will find at York a range of challenging learning opportunities in the subfields of human geography, physical geography and geographic methods.
News & Events
The 2015 QS World University Rankings are in and York's Geography Department has once again been ranked among the top 100 Geography Departments in the world and in the top 10 in Canada!
Geography students participate in the Undergraduate Research Fair - photos here
The Department of Geography celebrates its brightest and best undergraduate students at our 2015 Undergraduate Awards Ceremony
At the recent Building Healthy LIves and Communities Research Celebration, Professor Valerie Preston spoke on Diversity and Social Justice in Canadian Communities
The Geography Department mourns the loss of Professors Ian Brookes and Roy Wolfe. Memorial tributes can be found in the current issue of Contour Lines.
Professors Vandergeest and Roth will lead a course abroad in May of 2015 to Thailand. Click here for more information on the course and here to sign up for the course. Need more info? You can find it right here!
From 23-36 October, the students enrolled in the Field Studies in Physical Geography (GEOG3540) course headed to the Lake St. George Conservation Field Centre to complete the mandatory field camp. Under the supervision of Professor Tarmo Remmel and with the assistance of Patrick Mojdehi, our technician, 8 different field experiments were conducted. During three intense days, this group of 22 students (1 person missing from the photo) collected water samples from constructed wetlands, lakes and creeks; cored soils; measured vegetation, and experienced the beauty of the Oak Ridges Moraine. The data collection was based on projects designed by the students and will be further analyzed in the laboratory, leading to substantive research papers by early December. Beautiful weather and great colleagues ensured big smiles and high productivity. Good work class, thanks for a fun few days outside!
- Professor William Jenkins receives three awards for his book "Between Raid and Rebellion"
- Professor Robin Roth on CBC's Metro Morning regarding her course offered to refugees in Thailand - podcast Professor Robin Roth - Offering Higher Education to Refugees
- Take a ride on the Magic LiDAR Bus (class presentation in GEOG 4440)
- Geography Students Take a Field Trip to Maui
York Geographers in the News
- Professor Steven Tufts on Wage Inequality at Pearson Airport
- Professor Valerie Preston comments on the Transit On Track Project and why more men than women live in downtown Toronto
- And after unpaid internships? Then what? Professor Steven Tufts
- Over educated but underpaid: the plight of Filipinos in Canada - Professor Philip Kelly
- Report on Filipino Youth submitted to MInistry of Trainining, Colleges and Universities by research team including York Professor Philip Kelly
- A Year of Phillipine Studies at York University by Philip Kelly
- Professor Glen Norcliffe - Tricycle Historian - in The New York Times
- Eye Witnesses to a Melting World - featuring Geography Professors Rick Bello, Suzanne Tank and Kathy Young
- The Effects of Climate Change in Churchill, Manitoba: Professor Rick Bello
- Cool Jobs: Professor Kathy Young
- The Hidden Homeless: Professor Valerie Preston leads Toronto section of study on immigrant housing
- Professor Valerie Preston on cuts to immigrant research
- Professor Rick Bello and students participate in Toronto Evaporation Project
- Professor Ranu Basu on School Closures
- Professor Kathy Young leads fellow scientists on an Arctic adventure