Welcome to the Geography Department at York University, one of the largest and most diverse geography departments in Canada. You will find at York a range of challenging learning opportunities in the subfields of human geography, physical geography and geographic methods.
"It is geography that applies common sense to the statistical hysteria of the climatologists. It is geography that brings global warming into context and applies the test of feasibility to whatever political priorities are deemed necessary. It is geography that explains why each of us is located where we are, in neighbourhood, nation, continent and planet, and how fragile might be that location. Without geography's instruction, we are in every sense lost - random robots who can only read and count."
June 2011 -- LA&PS Dean Martin Singer joins a gathering of Geography faculty, staff and students - past and present.
News and Notices
- Latest edition of "Contour Lines" published by the Alumni Association - click here.
- Professor Kathy Young is awarded the 2012 Canadian Geophysical Union Meritorious Service Award
- Professor Bill Found donates historical maps to York University
- Geography Alumni Lecture Series: McMaster Professor Emeritus Ming-Ko Woo on "Modern Myths in Northern Science" - click here for a video of this engaging presentation
- Professor Robin Roth on CBC's Metro Morning regarding her course offered to refugees in Thailand - podcast Professor Robin Roth - Offering Higher Education to Refugees
- Students, faculty and staff attended the Department of Geography's Annual Awards Ceremony for Undergraduate Students held on Thursday, 17 November 2011. Congratulations to all award recipients! Click here for event photos.
- Take a ride on the Magic LiDAR Bus (class presentation in GEOG 4440)
- Geography Students Take a Field Trip to Maui
York Geographers in the News
- Idle No More Movement Brings Canadian History Into Focus: Professor Bruce Erickson
- Cool Jobs: Professor Kathy Young
- The Hidden Homeless: Professor Valerie Preston leads Toronto section of study on immigrant housing
- Professor Valerie Preston on cuts to immigrant research
- Nina Hewitt on assisted migration to save endangered species
- Professor Rick Bello and students participate in Toronto Evaporation Project
- Geography Student Liz Miller wins northern research award
- Professor Ranu Basu on School Closures
- Professor Kathy Young leads fellow scientists on an Arctic adventure
- Dr. Peter Vandergeest discusses challenges in certifying seafood