Welcome to the Geography Department at York University, one of the largest and most diverse geography departments in Canada. You will find at York a range of challenging learning opportunities in the subfields of human geography, physical geography and geographic methods.
News & Events
- The March 2014 Edition of Contour Lines is now available.
- The Department of Geography is seeking a Sessional Assistant Professor in Physical Geography - click here for details
- Congratulations to Professor Qiuming Cheng for having received the Chinese National Science and Technology Award. Click here for photos of the event. This prestigious award recognizes the significant innovation and advancement of science and technology of his research project “Development of nonlinear theory and methods and applications in prediction of mineral resources.” He was invited to the ceremony held in the People’s Great Hall of Beijing on 10 January 2014. Professor Cheng has received several notable awards on his research within the last few years. In 2008, he received the William Christian Krumbein Medal, the highest award given by the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences (IAMG) to senior scientists for career achievement. He was honored and acknowledged by the association as an international leader in the application of non-linear mathematics and geoinformatics in geosciences. He has single-handedly advanced solid earth application of non-linear processes including multifractal modeling. Cheng has introduced novel ways of analyzing geological, geochemical, geophysical and remote sensing data. These methods have been successfully applied worldwide in mineral exploration and study of geochemical pollution patterns. Significant new mineral resources have been discovered in several districts of China with the aid of the prediction models and geoinformatics techniques developed by Dr. Cheng’s projects. Dr. Cheng is now heading the IAMG as its current President.
- The Department of Geography is accepting applications for the position of Sessional Assistant Professor in Human Geography - click here for details
- Alumni Joseph Elrod's familty participate in York's Remembrance Day ceremonies
- Professor William Jenkins publishes book on Irish immigration to Buffalo and Toronto in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- Professor Suzanne Tank receives a CFI Award
- Professor Robin Roth on CBC's Metro Morning regarding her course offered to refugees in Thailand - podcast Professor Robin Roth - Offering Higher Education to Refugees
- Take a ride on the Magic LiDAR Bus (class presentation in GEOG 4440)
- Geography Students Take a Field Trip to Maui
York Geographers in the News
- Professor Glen Norcliffe - Tricycle Historian - in The New York Times
- Eye Witnesses to a Melting World - featuring Geography Professors Rick Bello, Suzanne Tank and Kathy Young
- When good fences can make bad neighbours - Professor Tristan Sturm
- Professor Tristan Sturm - Feast of Tabernacles Conference: The Christian Zionists Lobby Has Returned
- Filipinos in Winnipeg - Professor Philip Kelly
- Canada draws on deep ties to Philippines in pledging millions for typhoon relief - Professor Philip Kelly
- The Effects of Climte Change in Churchill, Manitoba: Professor Rick Bello
- Cool Jobs: Professor Kathy Young
- The Hidden Homeless: Professor Valerie Preston leads Toronto section of study on immigrant housing
- Professor Valerie Preston on cuts to immigrant research
- Nina Hewitt on assisted migration to save endangered species
- Professor Rick Bello and students participate in Toronto Evaporation Project
- Professor Ranu Basu on School Closures
- Professor Kathy Young leads fellow scientists on an Arctic adventure
- Dr. Peter Vandergeest discusses challenges in certifying seafood