Making the decision to move to Toronto and attend York University was a big one, and we’re so glad you did! As you prepare for your journey, we want you to feel supported. There are many resources for first-year students and international students, like yourself, but nothing beats having friends to share the adventure with!
If you are interested in making a connection with other incoming international students while participating in fun and engaging challenges to win prizes, then you can register for the York First Friend program! Together, you will learn about each other while sharing the excitement of coming to York University.
We know that as an international student, preparing for university can be a sometimes stressful and nerve-wracking process. Let us help you connect with a new friend at York to help you.
- Share similar emotions and excitement with someone who is also going through the same experience as you!
- Relate and discuss common questions about enrollment, housing, visa process and anything else you are wondering about!
- Prepare for the transition to York University and potentially travel to Canada together!
- Participate in fun weekly challenges and activities to create meaningful connections with your new friend!
By the end of the York First Friend program, students should be able to…
- Identify specific campus services to assist with transition and academic support.
- Explain the value of social interactions with peers and mentors.
- Create significant connections with other international students.
- Complete social and academic challenges alongside a peer.
- Navigate through the first-year experience at York University.
How it works
Simply fill out the York First Friend sign-up form to tell us a little about yourself and request a match.
Once you submit your completed form, the York First Friend Committee will review your application to determine if you have been admitted into the program and will begin the team grouping process during Matching Week.
Once admitted, you will be invited to the York First Friend Program Orientation, where you will connect with our upper-year peer mentors and meet your team.
As a team, you will participate in six weekly challenges and other games and activities to earn points for the top prizes!
For any other questions related to international student supports at the Faculty of LA&PS, email firstname.lastname@example.org.