We are committed to offering global experiences that enable students to grow and learn about the world. LA&PS students who want to study or participate in academic international activities abroad as part of their degree but need financial assistance can apply for the International Study Abroad Award. When they return, students are expected to share their experiences with their peers by attending a study abroad session or event. Here’s what you need to know about the funding opportunities available.
Who Is Eligible?
Current registered LA&PS undergraduate students (Canadian or international) with a minimum GPA of 5.00 (C+) are eligible to apply. Graduate students should contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies for information on funding opportunities.
Applicants must also be approved for one of the following study abroad options:
- York International Academic Exchange (one or two terms)
- York International Global Internship
- York International Placement Practicum abroad
- YorkU Summer Abroad course
- Short-term Study Abroad Program (less than 3.0 FCE)
- Experiential field trip abroad in a LA&PS course
- International conference presentation
Students are eligible to receive one award within an academic year and a maximum of two awards in the duration of their studies (as long as one is associated with a student exchange program).
Students may apply any time, but should apply at least four weeks before their official date of departure or start date of the activity. Awards are intended to provide support to eligible undergraduate students for their upcoming study abroad – retroactive applications will not be considered.
Within two weeks of submitting your application, you’ll be notified by email of the decision, and a decision letter will be mailed to you.
Awarded funds will be deposited into your student account at York University. Students who are completing an international study abroad award can also apply to York International [[link to specific York International site]] for additional funding.
How Much Could I Receive?
The amount of funding awarded depends on the particular details of the study abroad program.
- Short-term study abroad programs (less than 3.0 FCE): Up to $500, depending on program type, duration, destination and availability of funds.
- Experiential field trip abroad in a LA&PS course: Up to $500, depending on program type, duration, destination and availability of funds.
- International conference presentation: Up to $500 depending on program type, duration, destination and availability of funds.
- York International Academic Exchange: Depending on the availability of funds, students will be funded at the maximum level following the chart below.
|Destination||Funding for One (1) Term||Funding for Two (2) Terms|
|U.S. – Continental||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|U.S. – Hawaii||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Caribbean and Central America||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|Northern South America||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|Southern South America||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Western Europe||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|Eastern Europe||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Middle East and Central Asia||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Asia||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Indian subcontinent||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Australia and New Zealand||Up to $1,500||Up to $1,500|