We are committed to offering global experiences that enable students to grow and learn about the world. To help you achieve your goals, LA&PS and York University have established a variety of funding opportunities including awards, scholarships, and bursaries that support global learning. Take a look through the available awards to see which one(s) you maybe eligible for.
LA&PS International Study Abroad Award
LA&PS students who want to study or participate in academic international activities abroad as part of their degree but need financial assistance can apply for the International Study Abroad Award.
When they return, students may be asked to share their experiences with their peers by attending a study abroad session or event. Here's what you need to know about the award:
Who is Eligible?
Current registered LA&PS undergraduate students (Canadian or international) with a minimum GPA of 5.00 (C+) are eligible to apply. Graduate students should contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies for information on funding opportunities.
Applicants must also be approved for one of the following study abroad options:
- York International Academic Exchange (one or two terms)
- York International Global Internship
- York International Placement Practicum abroad
- YorkU Summer Abroad course
- Short-term Study Abroad Program (less than 3.0 FCE)
- Experiential field trip abroad in a LA&PS course
- International conference presentation
Students are eligible to receive one award within an academic year and a maximum of two awards in the duration of their studies (as long as one is associated with a student exchange program).
You will be notified of the decision via e-mail within two weeks of submitting your application.
Awarded funds will be deposited into your student account at York University. You may request a refund via Student Financial Services to transfer the award from your student account to your bank account.
Students who apply for an International Study Abroad Award can also apply to York International for additional funding.
Funding for the LA&PS International Study Abroad Award comes from various donation pools, so your award confirmation may state that you have received funding from a different source.
Students may apply any time, but should apply at least four weeks before their official date of departure or start date of the activity. Awards are intended to provide support to eligible undergraduate students for their upcoming study abroad – retroactive applications will not be considered.
How Much Could I Receive?
- Summer study abroad program (more than 3.0 FCE): Up to $1,000, depending on program type, duration, destination, and availability of funds. The amount of funding awarded depends on the particular details of the study abroad program.
- Short-term study abroad programs (less than 3.0 FCE): Up to $500, depending on program type, duration, destination and availability of funds.
- Experiential field trip abroad in a LA&PS course: Up to $500, depending on program type, duration, destination and availability of funds.
- International conference presentation: Up to $500 depending on program type, duration, destination and availability of funds.
- York International Academic Exchange: Depending on the availability of funds, students will be funded at the maximum level following the chart below.
|Destination||Funding for One (1) Term||Funding for Two (2) Terms|
|U.S. – Continental||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|U.S. – Hawaii||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Caribbean and Central America||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|Northern South America||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|Southern South America||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Western Europe||Up to $1,000||Up to $1,200|
|Eastern Europe||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Middle East and Central Asia||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Asia||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Indian subcontinent||Up to $1,200||Up to $1,500|
|Australia and New Zealand||Up to $1,500||Up to $1,500|
Other Study Abroad Funding
There are a variety of other study abroad awards available to students from all Faculties and Schools at York University. These endowed awards help students offset the cost of their participation in international experiences and are made possible by generous donors to the university.
LA&PS Endowed Awards
York International Endowed Awards
York International is pleased to be able to assist students in accessing scholarship and bursary funding to help offset the cost of their participation in a Global Learning Initiative.
Study in Israel Scholarships
Students participating in an international mobility experience in Israel may be eligible for one of the many scholarships offered through the Israel and Golda Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies at York University. Check the website for eligibility and application information.
For more information please contact Katie Gribbons, LA&PS Study Abroad Coordinator.