Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Internships & Co-op » Internships FAQs

Internships FAQs

Which LA&PS programs offer an internship option?

The Internship Program is open to eligible students enrolled in all LA&PS undergraduate Honours programs.

When should I apply to the LA&PS internship program?

The sooner the better. Students are encouraged to apply to the LA&PS internship program as soon as they are eligible. Internship Information Sessions run the first two months of every academic term. Attending an Information Session is the first mandatory step to enrolling in the LA&PS Internship Program.

At minimum, students should begin applying to the program one full term in advance of their first desired work term. International students are encouraged to begin applying two terms in advance due to lengthy processing times for co-op work permits.

What if I’m not eligible?

Don’t worry! There are other ways to gain work experience while you complete your degree. York’s Career Centre offers programs, services, events and resources to help you build your skills and gain experience, including a free job posting board that lists a range of full- and part-time positions. Students can also explore other valuable work-integrated learning opportunities available for credit.

Is there a cost to participate in the internship program?

Yes. There is a one-time, non-refundable $100 program enrolment fee, which will be applied to your student account when you’re enrolled in the internship program. Certain programs have an additional non-refundable fee of $475 per work term upon enrolment.

Am I eligible for OSAP during a work term?

Yes. While on a work term, your enrolment in the internship work term course is considered full-time course load for OSAP purposes and maintains your full-time student status and allows you to apply for government OSAP Financial Aid or the Continuation of Interest Free Status on any previous government student loans. Everyone's financial situation is unique, and you should consult directly with Registrarial Services for advice. Contact

As an international student, when do I apply for the co-op work permit?  

Once your application to the internship program is conditionally approved, we will send you a letter confirming your enrollment in the program that you will then use to apply for your co-op work permit from the federal government.  

Can I do an internship outside of Canada?

Unfortunately, the LA&PS Internship Program doesn’t have the resources available to support you in the immigration process to work outside Canada. Explore York International Global Internships for other opportunities.

Can I take courses while on internship?

Maybe. With written permission from the internship program, students on a full-time internship (25 to 40 hours per week) can take one academic course (email to request permission from your faculty coordinator). Students on a part-time internship (14 to 24 hours per week) can enrol in one or two academic courses while on an internship, with no written permission required.

All students who secure an internship will be automatically enrolled in an internship work-term course. This is a zero-credit, pass/fail course that will appear on your academic transcript and guide you through goal setting, reflection and recognizing the skills and experience gained during your work term.

What if I can’t find a job?

Even if you’ve applied early, internships are not guaranteed. To increase the chances of securing an internship, students are encouraged to apply to lots of jobs (we’re taking minimum 30 applications!) and to submit quality resume & cover letter applications that are tailored to the job posting.

LA&PS has an in-house Career Education team available to support you in your job search through workshops and appointments. Register for theses supports through Experience York.

Can I change jobs during my work term?

No. Once you accept an offer, you are making a commitment to an employer and the program to complete the agreed work term. Failure to do so will result in a fail grade in the work term course and ineligibility for subsequent work terms.

Students participating in the LA&PS Internship Program are entitled to a safe work environment. If you are experiencing issues or have concerns about your internship, we encourage you to reach out to the experiential education program coordinator as early as possible so that our team can best support you.

What if I want to stay at my internship longer?

You are welcome to request an extension of your internship with the agreement of your employer, as long as you have not exceeded the maximum internship length of 16 months and meet the academic requirements to continue with another work term.

What if I have another question?