Skip to main content Skip to local navigation
Home » Go Abroad » Study Abroad: FAQs

Study Abroad: FAQs

1. What is study abroad?

Study abroad is a learning activity that’s completed internationally – outside York University – for academic credits or experience. LA&PS students can get involved in a variety of ways: enrolling in a YorkU Abroad summer course, applying for an exchange program, or completing a Letter of Permission to take a course at any accredited academic institution. Non-credit opportunities, such as global internships, provide students with an international experience.

2. What are the benefits of studying abroad?

While having the travel experience of a lifetime, you will:

  • Gain critical thinking skills
  • Build global networks
  • Improve your language and linguistic proficiency
  • Become a globally minded citizen ready to operate in an increasingly globalized society
  • Learn about yourself in relation to your studies
  • Get exposure to intercultural learning and an increased understanding of cultures

3. Am I eligible to study abroad?

Every undergraduate LA&PS student (Canadian or international) in good academic standing can participate. International Bachelor of Arts (iBA) students must study abroad on an academic exchange.

4. I work full-time. Are there any options for me?

Yes. Students who work and study simultaneously can take a four-week YorkU Abroad course during the Summer term. Other options include taking an experiential trip through a York course or customizing your own experience through a Letter of Permission.

5. What is the best time to study abroad?

For academic exchange, LA&PS students should plan at the beginning of the second year to study abroad within their third year. The other study abroad options, including Academic Exchange, YorkU Summer Abroad courses, global internships, and the Discover India Program, are available to any student at any time, provided they meet the requirements.

Keep in mind that the York University semester will differ from the structure at a university abroad. Allow sufficient time to return, complete administrative procedures and receive academic credit for your expected graduation date.

6. If I only speak English, can I still study abroad?

Yes. English is the language of instruction at many of York’s partner universities; others offer intensive language training before or during the semester to improve your language skills (by planning ahead, you could start language training in your first year and then enhance it through immersion abroad in a later year). Specific language requirements are noted on each university’s program website.

YorkU Abroad courses are taught in English (except for the language courses). As well, York International Internship Placements have many positions that do not require knowledge of another language.

7. Is funding available?

Yes. Partial funding of up to $500 is available for approved York International programs such as exchanges, internships and summer abroad courses. LA&PS offers funding of up to $1,000 through the LA&PS Mobility award, and up to $1,500 through the LA&PS International Study Abroad Award.

Check out our Funding page for more information.

8. How can I learn more about the study abroad experience?

There are lots of ways to know more about current opportunities and past student experiences:

  • View our featured videos of LA&PS alumni and student testimonials.
  • Review our study abroad categories and current opportunities to find one that best suits you.
  • Attend information sessions.
  • Speak to an international student from the region or a York University student who studied abroad in your country of interest by visiting the Global Café at 244 York Lanes.
  • Contact staff in the Office of the Dean, or the LA&PS Global & Community Engagement team at

9. What if I want to extend my Academic Exchange? 

If you are granted a Letter of Permission (which costs $50 per institution per term) by the Office of the University Registrar, you may enrol at another university abroad and have up to 18 credits transferred toward your York degree or certificate. For details, contact Saba Rafiq manager of International Student Success & Engagement, at

10. What is included in the cost of studying abroad?

The cost includes three main components:

  • Program fee (including accommodation and excursions or field activities)
  • Tuition (paid directly to York University as per other courses)
  • Flight