The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies (LA&PS) encourages, promotes, and co-ordinates a wide range of academic international initiatives through the development of strategies, policies, guidelines and programs that reflect York University's institutional commitment to internationalization.
Internationalization is the incorporation of a international perspective into the teaching, learning and service functions of an academic institution. LA&PS responds to this goal by promoting diversity, equity, social responsibility and citizenship and has a dedicated office for international initiatives. We are conscious of ethical and moral dilemmas in recruitment and have introduced funded initiatives for incoming students, faculty members and current students to enhance and broaden the global experiences available in the LA&PS community.
This office also liaises with York International and supports LA&PS departments and schools with their internationalization projects.
What will you be doing this summer?
- Do you want to improve your language skills in the country of origin?
- Ever consider completing an ethnographic field project in Greece?
- How about learning from local experts on community development processes in Thailand?
Choose from any one of our 14 Summer YorkU Abroad Course offerings for 2015.
A YorkU Abroad Course is a unique opportunity for students to enroll in a YorkU Course, earn YorkU Credit and go abroad with a YorkU Professor! Your destination becomes your "classroom" as you integrate theory and practice.
The Office of York International, in collaboration with the Office of the Dean, LA&PS extends the deadline for additional students to apply:
Spots remain available for the following courses:
- AP/GEOG 4521 6.0 Field Studies in Human Geography (complete questionnaire first)
- AP/FR 3089 6.0 French Language & Society
- AP/ANTH 3110 6.0 Acquiring Research Skills
- AP/GER 2020 6.0 Intermediate German in Berlin
- AP/CH 2030 6.0 Intermediate Chinese Language & Culture
- AP/POLS 6.0 South Korea: The Politics of Youth & Old Age (complete questionnaire first)
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Applications and $500 deposit on these select courses due before 4:00 PM on February 13, 2015
The Office of York International is located at 242 York Lanes (2nd floor of York Lanes, elevator/ stairs is beside Appletree Medical Clinic)Study Abroad Opportunities
- York project offers higher education to refugees | Video GEOG 2030
- International and DLLL students share culture in 'buddy' project
- York faculty member honoured with the title of 'Invited Professor' by University of Havana
- York delegation in Beijing and Hong Kong to strengthen international programs, recruitment
- Read about the LA&PS International first-year Student Welcome Reception
- Read all about the International Students Spring Social
- Professor's best advice to students: to embrace globalization
- scholarships for international students with high academic grades, outstanding leadership and demonstrated financial need
- financial support for our students to study or participate in field courses abroad as part of their academic programs
- conference travel to countries outside of North America for faculty to disseminate their research
- seed grants for faculty international collaboration
- building bridges with our local communities and alumni to jointly organize programs of mutual interest; engage dialogue on global issues
- globalizing our curricula and providing ongoing academic support for international students